Now for a touch of Bourbon

fishboy1

Hope you have a great trip and post lots of photos.!!

I never could get a bimini twist down in under 5 tries and 20 minutes. Learned to tie a spiders hitch instead. Much faster and still a 90% knot.

7mm08

Dbllunger":1hepi0gz said:
Tarpon on the fly would be awesome. Where are you going to chase them?

Headed to Apalachiacola/St. George's in June. The topography of the area is unique as there is an apex that concentrates the tarpon in their migration North. They tend to hug the sand bars trying to stay in and away from the sharks, or so is the theory. ( personally that's my theory on why people get hit by sharks around this time. Sharks are looking for tarpon within the first few sandbars .....just like for thousands of years).

I had a ~130# on last year for 55 min. I got it to with a boat length and the guide had is glove on when the tippet broke! She hit that fly less than 20 feet from the boat so I got to see that HUGE fish basically disarticulate that mouth on that fly then explode out of the water within 1O ft of the boat then take of over 200 yards. Crazy times!!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FK6ec7eJzzo

7mm08

Dbllunger":2nl4w1kw said:
Awesome. I know that area well. I'll be in cape san blas in late June chasing specs and reds in my boat.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Maybe we could trade out a trip. This is the last year I hire guides so I will be bring my Scout down for tarpon but would love trade a red trip for a Tarpon trip. Where do you stay? Obviously they allow boats?

Dbllunger

7mm08":382xql9p said:
Dbllunger":382xql9p said:
Awesome. I know that area well. I'll be in cape san blas in late June chasing specs and reds in my boat.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Maybe we could trade out a trip. This is the last year I hire guides so I will be bring my Scout down for tarpon but would love trade a red trip for a Tarpon trip. Where do you stay? Obviously they allow boats?

We stay on Cape San Blas on the bay side. There is a dock right on the property there so I launch at the state park and keep my boat tied up all week at our rental house. I catch 90% specs drifting live pinfish below a popping cork. It isn't the best time of the year for specs but I still catch a good amount. We will be there the last week of June. If you want to come fish with me some morning and are down there then that would be great. I'll have an open seat in the boat.

Snowwolfe

Always wanted to try a go at Tarpon. Be nice to put my Ross fly reel back in use a couple of more times. Used it to chase Chinook salmon combined with a 10wt rod. But I suspect a 10 wt is to light for a Tarpon.

Pilchard

7mm08- I spent the last 15 years obsessed with tarpon fishing until I moved to TN from FL in Feb. I traveled to just about every place you can imagine chasing them with a fly rod. If I can be of any assistance please let me know.

A few suggestions for you-

Test your Bimini and your other connetions! Pull on them until they break multiple times. Of course you will lose fish that chew through your leader but a broken tippet is something that can be avoided.

Simplify your fly box. It's awesome to have a lot of flies but you really only need a couple. Clear water, tarpon toad in chartreuse, white, brown. Tannic water, black and purple EP.

Happy to answer any questions you have.

brass magnet

fishboy1":148tksky said:
Hope you have a great trip and post lots of photos.!!

I never could get a bimini twist down in under 5 tries and 20 minutes. Learned to tie a spiders hitch instead. Much faster and still a 90% knot.

In this case, the shot of bourbon first may actually improve your chance.