hey SCN.. legality of landing a plane on a lake?

TNReb

Purely curious if you know..

Is it legal for planes to land on lakes? Two different days I've been on Old Hickory this year and saw them landing in Spencer Creek.

Once was back in colder weather when the lake was mostly empty. The second time was last weekend when there was a lot more boat traffic.

I'm not talking about an emergency landing. It was as if they were practicing. They did it multiple times.

Seemed crazy to me.

Also a random story...

A couple of years ago we were fishing between Flippers and the 109 bridge. A plane flew UNDER the 109 bridge. Surprised the heck out of us. Pretty sure that one wasn't legal.

Biggun4214

TWRA would have no regulations on it. I suspect it is entirely legal.
There are rules in place such as flying under bridges, except when landing. I called about a problem plane several years ago but can't remember any of the others. Maybe avoiding boat traffic.

Kirk

Weird stuff I have seen while fishing. A Helicopter setting a swimming pool at a bluff side mansion on Chickamauga. An ultralight plane flying up the river so slow I am surprised it stayed airborne.
Pool.jpg
Plane.jpg

Last edited:

DaveTN

The state of Tennessee is seaplane friendly. The lakes are all controlled by the US Army Corps of Engineers or the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA). Almost all lakes are open to seaplanes. TVA is a little friendlier as amphibs can use boat ramps and on the Corps lakes you can not. Some ramps are large enough for hull type amphibs such as the Lake with sponsons. One such ramp is on the north side of Lake Normandy, near Tullahoma, TN. In the winter it is deserted and no traffic at all. There are marinas on some of the lakes, some welcome seaplanes and some do not. It is best to call ahead for fuel and docking.

The rivers in Tennessee are open to seaplanes operations. Some cities consider the rivers to be in city limits and may ban prohibit seaplanes. It is best to check with the city if interested in the water within city limits. There are some cautions and distance restrictions around nuclear power plants and those are listed in the sectional charts.

Wooden Arrow

Weird stuff I have seen while fishing. A Helicopter sitting a swimming pool at a bluff side mansion on Chickamauga. An ultralight plane flying up the river so slow I am surprised it stayed airborne.
View attachment 220751View attachment 220750
used to see an ultralight flying on upper end of Douglas. he was so low/slow that we joked about snagging him to see if we could reel him in...be a good fight on 4 lb test...;)

Latest posts