november full moon

BSK

Poleaxe said:
So your saying all his work that he doesn't know anything?

Nope, didn't say that. Just have said many times there is nothing to his theory that full moon timing influences actual breeding dates. That fact has been proven repeatedly. In each location, breeding peaks on or about the same date every year, regardless of full moon dates.

BSK

pseshooter300 said:
I enjoy the show and you can learn a lot but I'm sure like said earlier that the moon has some effect on deer activity

pseshooter300,

Below is a graph of hunter-collected buck observation rates (bucks seen per hour of hunting during September through January) over a 25 year period for one property. For that property, specific moon conditions produce considerably higher or lower buck observation rates. In fact, under the best conditions, bucks were seen by hunters almost twice as often as under the worst conditions. So, obviously, the moon is having some influence:

deerhunter10

moon does nothing for the rut. the thing with the moon is it seems like a whole lot of night movement. but with good temps it will still be good hunting. muzzle loading season will be a heck of a time this year I believe.

Poleaxe

BSK said:
Poleaxe said:
So your saying all his work that he doesn't know anything?

Nope, didn't say that. Just have said many times there is nothing to his theory that full moon timing influences actual breeding dates. That fact has been proven repeatedly. In each location, breeding peaks on or about the same date every year, regardless of full moon dates.

Good because I was just messing with you I am no way kin to him. Lol. Read his book tho, but didn't find it appealing. If he was so right then everybody would be successful. Just had to mess with you.

bowriter

R.I.P.
Love that full moon. Makes it so much easier to drive acorss the field without lights and get to mty stand without a flashlight. besides, makes that 8-10 time slot a winner.

mike243

All I know is I have 1 week of vacation this year & I love mls so it was a easy pick ,as long as its daylite I could care less about the moon to be honest,walking into a stand on private property is with no flashlite is fine but I use a flashlite on public land,dont need some trigger happy shooter trying to tag out early lol

TNDeerGuy

BSK said:
pseshooter300 said:
I enjoy the show and you can learn a lot but I'm sure like said earlier that the moon has some effect on deer activity

pseshooter300,

Below is a graph of hunter-collected buck observation rates (bucks seen per hour of hunting during September through January) over a 25 year period for one property. For that property, specific moon conditions produce considerably higher or lower buck observation rates. In fact, under the best conditions, bucks were seen by hunters almost twice as often as under the worst conditions. So, obviously, the moon is having some influence:

That data goes right along with my BIL's, a biologist, data he collected over a several year period as well�the waning moon held the most sightings.

BSK

TNDeerGuy said:
That data goes right along with my BIL's, a biologist, data he collected over a several year period as well�the waning moon held the most sightings.

Yup, all my data suggests daylight buck activity is higher on a waning moon than a waxing moon. And I have no idea why.

Jaahspike

BSK or anyone with the data, if the peak of the rut is within the same time frame each year, what else other than the moon would set off the rut or hormones or whatever happens around the same time each year. Unlike us they don't have the calendar to see the actual dates. I am not trying to be a jerk by any means BSK I am just curious and trying to find an accurate guide. Any help is always appreciated. By the way, I love those types of charts that show actual data for the rut so anymore of that would be awesome.

BSK

Jaahspike said:
BSK or anyone with the data, if the peak of the rut is within the same time frame each year, what else other than the moon would set off the rut or hormones or whatever happens around the same time each year. Unlike us they don't have the calendar to see the actual dates. I am not trying to be a jerk by any means BSK I am just curious and trying to find an accurate guide. Any help is always appreciated. By the way, I love those types of charts that show actual data for the rut so anymore of that would be awesome.

Jaahspike,

Biological processes that are timed to a specific date or range of dates are usually triggered by hormones produced by the pituitary gland and other functions linked to the hypothalamus. An animal's brain has the ability to track the length of the nights throughout the year. The length of the nights on a given date is almost exactly the same--to the minute--every year. In essence, the hours and minutes of darkness on Nov. 10th is exactly the same every year. The nights are shortest around June 21 every year, and the longest around Dec. 21 every year. But an animals brain can so precisely track these minutes of darkness each night that this acts as a highly accurate calendar. For biological processes like estrus in female deer, as soon as their brain records a specific night-time length (a given date of the year) their hypothalamus triggers their pituitary gland to begin producing the hormones associated with breeding.

So although deer can't read calendars, they don't need to. They have an automatic internal calendar built into their brains. And instead of months and numbered dates, their internal calendar uses the length of the days and nights to track the passage of time and the changing seasons.

Winchester

Well said BSK. I grew up on a quarter horse farm where we stood stallions for a stud fee. The most desired breeding time was February/March to try and get a Jan/Feb baby, due to Quarter horse registration dates vs birthdays! Anyhoo, we would put mares under lights for up to 16 hours a day to try and make them cycle like it was later in the year when their heat cycles were much better.
While not as dramatic, length of days also has an effect on their estrous cycle as well.

AT Hiker

I wonder if you darted your deer herd with some GnRH if you could synch them to "rut" to your particular hunting schedule?

I may have discovered a new marketing idea...GnRH in a can!

ffmedic

Followed those predictions for years.. Never really made any difference. The only 2 things I am sure of is late Oct and Nov. is the best time to be hunting and if its hot it sucks!!

Latest posts