November 24th 1977 Thanksgiving morning

Iglow

Listening, I hadn't heard my dad stir, I'd been awake ( at 15 the enthusiasm did away with the need for an alarm clock) so I go to his room , we talked about it as he said it was raining, we had Thanksgiving dinner to go to at my sisters and maybe tomorrow but I pleaded to go. He gets up and around, after a cup of coffee for him we get in the F250.
A non hunter can't understand but I know y'all do the anticipation, when we get in the woods it was the usual deal " stay here till I come and get you" he said and he disappeared in the dark. The rain had gone down to drizzle when is slowly began to get light. It was dead still and the woods were dripping, what leaves that were left hung straight down .
After a couple of hours I I did a no-no, I got up and left my stand where dad put me. It was a stump on a hillside overlooking a small broom grass field that had a creek running along the far edge. I didn't really know why I got up or what I was going looking for but as I eased out into that grass I looked up on the facing ridge and felt that " shock" of first seeing a deer. He was fast stepping along on a bench with his nose to the ground, like a beagle on a rabbit. The spikes on his head were there so I thought "here we go" .
I raised that marlin 336 with a slapmount weaver 1.5 scope and got the crosshairs on his chest( nevermind the shaking) and BOOM! He noseplants and starts rolling down the hill , I fired as fast as I could lever another round in missing every time till he tried to get on his feet at the bottom, the 5th shot ended the drama.
That was 46 years ago and I can replay it in my mind as if it happened in the past 5 min.
After a time dad came up and over the ridge then down where I was kneeling with my buck and he said" where did you put the machine gun? That's what it sounded like over here!" 🤣

Last edited:

Iglow

I love reading stories like this. Memories that literally last a lifetime. Thanks for sharing and Happy Thanksgiving!
Yea, I was sitting in the dark this morning in a ladder stand typing that story, boy how things have changed in those 46 years.
Back then you didn't have special hunting clothes, you just wore blue jeans and cotton longjohns, whatever brown coat you had and boots. For the most part you stayed wet and cold, didn't see many deer and put the rifle back in the rack after a couple of weeks cause that's all you had.

killingtime 41

Back when you would get handed a gun and say stay here I'm going this way we will meet up at noon and eat us something good luck. Nowadays you gotta have them in the blind with you cause you just can't trust them to not do something dumb. Lol

KTS

Yes sir, you never forget the first one. I can remember every detail of my first deer back in 1964.
Great story and thanks for sharing.

MrJim43

2-Step Enabled
When we grew up in Humphreys co.Tn back in the latter part of the 40's and 50's there we little or no deer except in Big Sandy or in East Tn. so I did not start hunting deer till after I got out of the service late 60's. First trip is with a bunch of my friends in Nashville. Off to Catoosa we go my first deer hunting trip. Brand new 243 open sights and away we go. Found a good looking ridge and walk down it about 100 yard and stop. Standing there....Hear this voice and I'm looking every were and then the guy said move on and I find him up in a tree to my surprise. Walk over to the next ridge and to my surprise it the same way. I walk over to the next ridge and I stop and look all over and I see no orange in any of the trees BUT to make sure I yell out ANY ONE HERE!!!! and to my surprise no one answer me. So I find me a sit down spot and guess what I fall a sleep.LOL... Wake up and look up in surprise and a 4 point is walking up the ridge toward me. I shoot and the deer dies there. Now for the rest of the story.....I'm pretty will confused as to were I'm at and NO knife to gut the deer. Beginner's luck..... a guy come up out of the hollow see me standing there and said beginners luck kid. Laughing and shaking his head.. Were is your knife.....HA HA He helps me gut the deer and show me the way out. Happy.... I was the only one that kill a deer. Lots of ribbon from the guy. That was 53 years ago and I have not been back to Catoosa since....Most of my hunting buddies have long since died only one other and me are left of about 10 or 12 guys. Lots of memories.....Miss the times and fun with the guys......

agelessssone

Thanksgiving 1969, Vietnam
Me and Bob Spina
I'm on the left.
Bob is now a world famous pinstripe artist in Las Vegas, still kickin

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1514516075224.jpg
    FB_IMG_1514516075224.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 19

Sako

due to many factors I do not get a chance to hunt on Thanksgiving morning anymore but I did for a long time when I lived in Georgia... Still remember many of those mornings with friends

Tenntrapper

When I was a kid...at Thanksgiving, all the grandparents would spend a few days at our house. Great uncle has a 300+ acre farm in Hawkins county. Both grandfathers, an uncle, dad, and my brother and I would go to that farm and rabbit hunt.
My grandfathers are gone now...but the memories will last my lifetime.

Latest posts