november full moon

pseshooter300

So with the full moon falling on the 17 of November how do you all expect this to work with the rut or do you expect no difference?

mike243

muzzle loader will set a new record this year due to the moon the seasons the planet alignment & my new savage smokeless pole lol,better be in the woods when it opens imo.im off all week :)

BSK

pseshooter300 said:
So with the full moon falling on the 17 of November how do you all expect this to work with the rut or do you expect no difference?

The moon plays no role in when breeding activity occurs.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I like a full moon myself.
Killed some of my better deer then.

Real early or real late is the best times for me in the past.

Boll Weevil

Dr. Alsheimer of Deer & Deer Hunting has advocated for years that the moon is a factor in breeding and every year, a calendar is produced with rut activity by moon phase. I continue to be perfectly dumbfounded that the theory still has even a shred of merit.

BSK

Boll Weevil said:
Dr. Alsheimer of Deer & Deer Hunting has advocated for years that the moon is a factor in breeding and every year, a calendar is produced with rut activity by moon phase. I continue to be perfectly dumbfounded that the theory still has even a shred of merit.

The funny thing is just how much of an impact Charles Alsheimer's (not a PhD and not a biologist, but an outdoor writer/photographer) opinions have had on hunter beliefs. I bet every deer hunter in America believed the "rutting moon" thing at one time or another, and it is just a theory created by one guy who is not a biologist.

Mike Belt

I think the moon theory has a lot of merit but it all depends on the degree of the angle between the tail of the Big and Little Dippers and which is higher in the sky at exactly 2:43 AM.

woodsman87

No effect. I just hope it below 65 at most during the day, preferably in the 50s during the day. Seemed like last year it was like 75 in mid-november.

Scioto

Here's an article discussing the Alsheimer rutting moon "forecast" (hypothesis, at best, superstition mainly) compared to the actual science-based prediction based on real data.

http://wiredtohunt.com/2013/07/02/2013- ... etail-rut/

Still, I can't put much credence to any of these forecasts unless they are location-specific. I can't envision the rut occurring on the same day in Minnesota and Tennessee and the Mississippi delta region.

Winchester

Ive saw his predictions for years and its kinda comical. I too could come up with "Winchesters rut timing guide" and sell it for big $ and guarantee you I get fairly close every year. I could pick most any 10 day period in November for "most of the North" and guarantee it wouldn't miss by more than a few days! ;)

woodsman87

I honestly never have gotten on the moon bandwagon. When I was young hunter, I hunted every oppurtunity, regardless of moon phase. I still hunt every oppurtunity, regardless of moon phase. Ive been saying this all along, in southern Giles Co., The best time to hunt is from around Thanksgiving to December 10th. Every year. Full moon, halfmoon, quater moon, new moon, no moon, two moons, or even ten moons.

Bone Collector

I'm contemplating taking some vaca the second week of ML. Last year I didn't get to hunt much during ML due to being gone for the LBL hunt and taking vaca to do that, but between Nov. 16th and Nov. 25th the bucks were moving, cruising, and chasing on my property.

with the late start this year, it will be a smoke pole that I will be armed with during most of that time.

BSK

OHVATN said:
I can't envision the rut occurring on the same day in Minnesota and Tennessee and the Mississippi delta region.

Because it doesn't, so your inability to envision this scenario is spot on.

BSK

muddyboots said:
I took my vacation the week after that. I have been keeping up with my buck sightings the last few years and that's what the info tells me. Believe it or not.

Nobody is saying the moon has no effect on daylight deer activity. As hard as I am on my friend Charlie's predictions, I'll be the first to tell you the moon has some influence on daylight deer activity. My own data shows that relationship clearly. However, the moon just has no effect on actual breeding.

Poleaxe

BSK said:
muddyboots said:
I took my vacation the week after that. I have been keeping up with my buck sightings the last few years and that's what the info tells me. Believe it or not.

Nobody is saying the moon has no effect on daylight deer activity. As hard as I am on my friend Charlie's predictions, I'll be the first to tell you the moon has some influence on daylight deer activity. My own data shows that relationship clearly. However, the moon just has no effect on actual breeding.

I wondered if you knew Charlie. Haven't seen him in a while. I'm his nephew . So your saying all his work that he doesn't know anything? That's sad to hear.

Latest posts