Nock height

southernhunter

Did a little bare shaft tuning today , left to right was good , but the bare shafts always existed the self nock high and landed below fletched arrows, I moved the nock point down in small increments to 0 and up again to 3/4 but never could get them to fly straight. The seem to do best at 5/8 landing close to fletched arrows but still nock high, so much as I could see it in flight. Any thoughts?

eddie c

Bare shafting always fustrated the heck out of me so I just tune with fletched shafts.
At the TN Classic this year I was shooting at the practice range and an older gentleman was watching me and questioned my tuning process after watching my arrow flight. After several minutes of talking he asked if we could bare shaft one of my fletched arrows. "Sure". He took and just cut the "feather" part, leaving the quill, explaining the weight on the back end is just as important as the weight on the front end. It's part of the tuning process because it will be there when you shoot.
When I shot,as long as I didn't pluck the string, the stripped shaft flew with the other.

How's your fletched shafts flying?

southernhunter

Good thought, they fly ok when I have a good release , I was puzzled by the bare shaft which I hadn't tried much. In flight it looked to be at a 45 degree angle, i some more todayand it was doing better. Last night I watched a video bare shaft tuning ken beck he gave a lot of good info.