Food Plots no-till planting

DaveB

(1)They need more sun than you would think
(2)There is a LOT of annual rye in the mix. The deer ate the non-rye in maybe 30 seconds seemed like.

I do not have an ATV, tractor, plow. I have rakes, teenage boys, time. So, I did my thing:

You really need to garden it in. First, get the leaves gone. Then rake the ground clear by dragging all the duff to one side. Break up the surface using your rake and drag the dirt to same place as your duff. THEN throw something of your own concoction. Clover and radishes is real good. With seeds on the ground pick up the duff and dirt and walk around sprinkling it liberally. Walk over every square inch-beat the soil into solid contact with the seed. Next, pray for rain.

DaveB

(1)They need more sun than you would think
(2)There is a LOT of annual rye in the mix. The deer ate the non-rye in maybe 30 seconds seemed like.

I do not have an ATV, tractor, plow. I have rakes, teenage boys, time. So, I did my thing:

You really need to garden it in. First, get the leaves gone. Then rake the ground clear by dragging all the duff to one side. Break up the surface using your rake and drag the dirt to same place as your duff. THEN throw something of your own concoction. Clover and radishes is real good. With seeds on the ground pick up the duff and dirt and walk around sprinkling it liberally. Walk over every square inch-beat the soil into solid contact with the seed. Next, pray for rain.

Jmed

The more ground prep, the better. Period. Whether it's a leaf blower, rake, atv etc. Get the ground turned up as much as possible. Most " no till" seed mixes are designed to produce a quick green stand that is visually attractive, and not super nutritious or attractive to the deer. Just my opinion

Latest posts