Nikon scopes

John3

Has anybody had any experience with the new prostaff 5? They are priced about the same as the monarch line so I'm assuming something is different from the old prostaff. I'm considering a monarch for a 308 I'm putting together and just wondering after seeing the price similarity. Thanks for any input.

John3

With the prostaff 5. 3.5x14x40 being $379 and the monarch 4x16x42 being $389 I'll probably end up going with the monarch. Just wondering if there was any difference mainly because the prostaff 5 comes in silver and it's going on a stainless rifle. I don't mind a black scope on there but if all things were the same i would consider the pro staff.

Rubberduck270

I've got a few of the 4-16 Monarchs (2 42mm and a 50mm) and I like them. They track good and glass is clear and bright. Flip up covers they come with now are junk but I use ScopeCoats anyways so that's a wash.

What reticle are you going with?

John3

I've got 2 buckmasters with the bdc, but I am thinking about going with the mildot. You can still enter it on the spot on app and use it like a bdc and play around with it for long range target shooting.

Is there any difference in the light on the 42's and the 50?

Rubberduck270

BDC on a 3-9 or a 2.5-10 is nice and useable. BDC on 4-16 are scaled differently and are dang near useless (compare them before you buy). MilDot would be a great choice.

I can't really tell much difference in light transmission between the 42 and 50. 50 may be a touch brighter but it could just be in my head too. Eye relief is constant too, doesn't shift around as much as some of the Leupolds I've had.

Latest posts