New to Gallatin/TN

WMAn

If you are fishing from a boat, watch out for shallow water.

I don't know what you are used to in Michigan, but on Old Hickory you can be 100s of yards from the bank and churning mud or grinding stumps.

jakeway

I moved to Hendersonville from Grand Rapids 20 years ago this month. Love it here.

The biggest difference in Old Hickory is water clarity. In Michigan I usually could see up to twenty feet down, and could see drop-offs, logs on bottom, weed beds, etc., even fish to cast to. On Old Hickory, even on clear days you couldn't really see more than a couple feet down. So I had to learn the lake and learn to use my electronics.

Also, I use artificials almost exclusively here, while up north I used mostly live bait. Cast a live nightcrawler on a splitshot rig here, and nine times out of ten you will get snagged.

Once you get used to it, though, the fishing here is great.

doubledownranch

Welcome!! Old Hickory is tricky to navigate, buy a good map and study it, also make sure you know how to read the buoys. With that being said, I grew up on Old Hickory and it's a great lake and lots of fun in the summer time

Mag

2-Step Enabled
When I had my boat and wanted to fish I either stayed off the lake on weekends or fished early enough to be out before all the skiers and wave runners hit the water.