Tried something new (to me)

moondawg

First day of fishing vacation: too freaking windy to get the kayak out, so I went fishing from the bank at Piersol Lake at Shelby Forest. I thought I'd try something different and new to me: a Zoom baby brush hog. I've never really fished for bass with plastic lures other than curly tail grubs. This was my first time ever using a weightless and weedless baby brush hog (in (June bug color). Basically I just Texas rigged it with a 3/0 worm hook without any weight. I caught two bass with it and had two more get away because I didn't set the hook. To say I was excited was an understatement!

Attachments

• IMG_20230501_164328182.jpg
    IMG_20230501_164328182.jpg
    511.1 KB · Views: 101

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
As in Texas rig? Or Carolina rig? Either way, I am certainly going to use brush hogs more often.
I Texas rig mine and peg the weight with a toothpick to keep it from wrapping around the buckbrush.
I also bury the hook tip to avoid getting it stuck.
Drop it in the thickest nastiest part of the brush.
Fun way to catch them when they are up in there.

moondawg

I Texas rig mine and peg the weight with a toothpick to keep it from wrapping around the buckbrush.
I also bury the hook tip to avoid getting it stuck.
Drop it in the thickest nastiest part of the brush.
Fun way to catch them when they are up in there.
Cool, I'll try it!

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Stretch dropped one off in some buckbrush near our campsite at piney one time. Unless you have seen that slue footed sucker set the hook the story doesn't have the same humor but anyway he got a bite and set the hook.
A 9" bream literally flew over the boat and landed out in the water behind us 😂 😂

TNReb

Stretch dropped one off in some buckbrush near our campsite at piney one time. Unless you have seen that slue footed sucker set the hook the story doesn't have the same humor but anyway he got a bite and set the hook.
A 9" bream literally flew over the boat and landed out in the water behind us 😂 😂
It's amazing what those suckers will eat. One of the funnest days I've ever had fishing was when we were bass fishing in a farm pond. We were throwing a 6" lizard and we got in to a mess of hybrid bluegill that we were catching on that lizard nearly every cast. That's been 25 years ago and it still sticks out in my memory.