A new one to me

Crow Terminator

My wife and I have a ton of over time coming up at work and looks like our only fishing will be when we get off work for a couple/few hours. We decided to go this morning. We got into the white and yellow bass while pulling crankbaits and had to leave that area. You couldn't hardly get started when you'd have to reel one of them in. I'm not a yellow bass fan. We left that spot and found some deep suspended fish over a tree. I thought they might be crappie but our first pass was just a swing and miss...then second pass, I hook up and think I feel a catfish doing the rolling thing they do. When you hook a crappie trolling cranks, they normally always come straight up and ski on their side. This fish stayed down and rolled and then dove down when it got near the boat. My wife hollered "GET YOUR NET!!" and I looked back towards her...and lo and behold there was a HUGE open mouth of a pretty big crappie. Barely hooked. I got it in the net..and there was the longest but paper thin skinny crappie I think I've ever caught. 19" inches long. Mouth like a largemouth bass and huge eyed thing. But...it only weighed 2 lbs on my scale...it was almost sickly skinny. It came from so deep it couldn't swim back down. We went on and made a few more passes...fish was still trying to go down. I decided I would fizz its swim bladder. As I was starting towards it with the trolling motor, I get about 30 yards from it and had my net ready to scoop it up and an Osprey flies over and swoops down and carries that crappie off. I couldn't believe that happened right in front of me. I've had those blue herons try to grab trout from me as I was reeling them in but not an Osprey.
received_1671644796643118.jpeg
received_1393909057854504.jpeg

Crow Terminator

Awesome fish. 19" is mind boggling. Where you trying for crappie with a crankbait or were you after bass and he just hit? Either way great catch!
Specifically crappie fishing. I only fish for the green carp when they are schooling heavy and hitting topwater; usually in the fall. Crankbaits are my goto for hot water crappie. Water temps yesterday morning were 88.5 degrees and that was before the sun got up high. 19 inches and paper thin.

Ruger - I was trolling a flat and ledge to the main river. Water depth was about 35 feet next to 55 foot.

Latest posts