New rubber boots- smell

Pilchard

I got a new pair of boots a while back. They fit great. When I took them out of the box they stunk up the whole house with a strong rubber odor. I left them in the garage thinking it would wear off…. It hasn't.

Anything I can do to get rid of it? They have an oily feeling on the outside. Should I scrub them with scent free soap? Or just not use them for deer hunting? If I can smell them from 5 feet away, a deer is going to smell them from the next county over.

JCDEERMAN

Might try putting a brick in each one and fill a Rubbermaid tub up with water and scent free detergent. Let sit a couple days and just take them out and leave them outside upside down at all times.

JeepKuntry

My suggestion would be try ozone if you know someone. I have one in East Knoxville if you're close. They're $50 on Amazon and I use mine throughout the year instead of washing each time.

TN Song Dog

I had some rubber floorboard mats I bought that were like you described. Bad smell and oily feeling. It was a really strong petroleum odor that I couldn't stand. Decided it was a bad batch of rubber and returned them. Got some others that didn't smell like that. It's a very distinctive smell and pungent. I say swap them.

Latest posts