New rifle...Old meets New...

Tenntrapper

Even though I had moved everything but the 7-08s, I found myself with a bunch of 243 components that wouldn't sell. I also had some old glass that no one wanted. What to do?
I also wanted something that was more...weather friendly than the M77.
So...I bought this. It's a Ruger American Compact in 243 Win. Mounted a vintage Weaver V9-II 3-9x AO scope in some vintage Bausch and Lomb rings. Going to load up some ammo and see how she does.
The steel tube scope adds weight, but as is... 7 lb 2 oz.

Note....Looks like Ruger was quietly listening.
Gone is that machine screw texture on the bolt... along with the zipper sound it caused. It's slick now. Kudos to Ruger.

Last edited:

PillsburyDoughboy

Even though I had moved everything but the 7-08s, I found myself with a bunch of 243 components that wouldn't sell. I also had some old glass that no one wanted. What to do?
I also wanted something that was more...weather friendly than the M77.
So...I bought this. It's a Ruger American Compact in 243 Win. Mounted a vintage Weaver V9-II 3-9x AO scope in some vintage Bausch and Lomb rings. Going to load up some ammo and see how she does.
The steel tube scope adds weight, but as is... 7 lb 2 oz.

Note....Looks like Ruger was quietly listening.
Gone is that machine screw texture on the bolt... along with the zipper sound it caused. It's slick now. Kudos to Ruger.

View attachment 221563
Nice looking rifle for sure. Ill bet it shoots lights out.

As you pointed out that Steel tube is probably adding weight to it. Ill bet you could shave off quite a bit by going to a lighter scope. GL and happy hunting .

Tenntrapper

Nice looking rifle for sure. Ill bet it shoots lights out.

As you pointed out that Steel tube is probably adding weight to it. Ill bet you could shave off quite a bit by going to a lighter scope. GL and happy hunting .
Yeah, the reason for using that scope was because I had it. I've always been of the belief that it doesn't take the latest and greatest to kill a deer. That was a good scope back in the 70s-80s. That said, first time it fogs up...it will likely get tossed.. 😂

PillsburyDoughboy

Yeah, the reason for using that scope was because I had it. I've always been of the belief that it doesn't take the latest and greatest to kill a deer. That was a good scope back in the 70s-80s. That said, first time it fogs up...it will likely get tossed.. 😂
Always good to have a old dependable scope laying around that you can toss on a new gun to test loads with and not zero it. Just get it on paper and start working up loads. That way you can rule out scope being bad. Saves Ammo/powder /primers. Then when you work up a load and know the rifle groups pick out a scope that fits the rifle and zero it.

DaveB

Our 1980's Rem 700 ADL in 243 is still shooting lights out and it has over 2,000 rounds through it, nearly all max loads. We had terrible problems with the 90 gr Accubonds but finally found a powder that worked.

Nice looking rifle.

Latest posts