New Pressure Canner

TAFKAP

If I had a pressure canner, I'd have a lot more room in my freezer since I put up a lot of stock. Never tried canning meat before

jb3

My dad talked about canning meat when he was a kid. I think he said it was 23 or 24 turns to seal the top. Canning meat was different than veggies. Veggies we done in a black iron kettle with a wooden mold in the bottom so the jars wouldn't touch. Canning meat was done in metal cans.

Cherokee

Working on some pork today. Hope to learn lessons on store bought stuff before hitting my stash in the freezer

Attachments

• B1314FFD-9BEF-4616-BBEE-0A87CFA6DA3E.jpeg
    B1314FFD-9BEF-4616-BBEE-0A87CFA6DA3E.jpeg
    291.8 KB · Views: 63

SteveJ

I remember as a kid going to grandma's and they didn't have a lot of storage room since there was 4 people in a single-wide trailer. But there would be jars of deer meat stashed under beds and stacked in corners everywhere. My sister cans their bear and deer meat and it is really good.

Cherokee

Well, I finished up with 6 quarts. I'm a little concerned about getting a good seal. They all are sealed for now. I used a 1" headspace based on what I have read, but I still wound up with some grease that vented from the jars during the canning process. Time will tell if I need to increase headspace.
IMG_1699.jpg

TNlandowner

We cold-pack can venison. This is a super easy way to process deer and allows us to save the meat without freezing.
  • Age your deer if you prefer, but pressure canning tenderizes the meat anyway.
  • We process the deer right away.
  • Cut the meat from the bone, remove as much fat and sinew as possible.
  • Cut into small cubes to fit into the jars.
  • Add in 1 tsp of Kosher salt into the jars.
  • Pack the meat into the jar, leaving about 1 - 1.5" of space.
  • Pressure can at 11 psi for 90 minutes.
  • Remove the canner from the heat source and allow the canner to cool - decompress.
  • You'll hear the lids seal as they cool.
  • Write the date on the lid, hand tighten the top (although this isn't really necessary since the lid holds the seal).
  • Open, heat and serve when you need a fast, easy meal. The meat will be very tender.
  • Pour the entire jar over the top and buttered noodles or rice, then heat.

Cherokee

We cold-pack can venison. This is a super easy way to process deer and allows us to save the meat without freezing.
  • Age your deer if you prefer, but pressure canning tenderizes the meat anyway.
  • We process the deer right away.
  • Cut the meat from the bone, remove as much fat and sinew as possible.
  • Cut into small cubes to fit into the jars.
  • Add in 1 tsp of Kosher salt into the jars.
  • Pack the meat into the jar, leaving about 1 - 1.5" of space.
  • Pressure can at 11 psi for 90 minutes.
  • Remove the canner from the heat source and allow the canner to cool - decompress.
  • You'll hear the lids seal as they cool.
  • Write the date on the lid, hand tighten the top (although this isn't really necessary since the lid holds the seal).
  • Open, heat and serve when you need a fast, easy meal. The meat will be very tender.
  • Pour the entire jar over the top and buttered noodles or rice, then heat.
Sounds delicious!

MoonBuzzard

Well, I finished up with 6 quarts. I'm a little concerned about getting a good seal. They all are sealed for now. I used a 1" headspace based on what I have read, but I still wound up with some grease that vented from the jars during the canning process. Time will tell if I need to increase headspace.View attachment 126150
Sounds like more headspace will be needed. Looks 👍

Urban_Hunter

My cousin has been canning venison without a canner for over 20 years. He cans the whole deer, and kills 3-4 a year. Cleans and boils the jars, pressure cooker the meat with whatever seasoning he wants for specific dishes (taco, Italian, etc), pours piping hot pressure cooked meat into jars, hand tightens lids. Jars sit in his pantry year round and his whole family eats on it.

Big Pop

I take any meat I've got in the freezer that's say over a year old and pressure can it. It's really good, quick, easy and tender.

Cherokee

Tried some of the canned pork this evening. Heated it up with a little BBQ sauce for pork sandwiches and some baked beans. Not too bad. Almost too tender.

Sako

If you have can find one, get a Ball Blue book on canning... lots of good stuff in there... I have canned deer and I also can soup with meat in it... works well... I really like canning peas from the garden the most but the most I do generally is venison veggie soup.... I love the stuff and I will make a big batch, eat on it some and can what is left over

Cherokee

If you have can find one, get a Ball Blue book on canning... lots of good stuff in there... I have canned deer and I also can soup with meat in it... works well... I really like canning peas from the garden the most but the most I do generally is venison veggie soup.... I love the stuff and I will make a big batch, eat on it some and can what is left over
Got a Ball Blue Book. Great info.

Shag

Tried some of the canned pork this evening. Heated it up with a little BBQ sauce for pork sandwiches and some baked beans. Not too bad. Almost too tender.
That's what I ran in to canning deer meat. It gets almost too tender. When I'm using meat I canned, I only pour them in at the last minute to reheat and stir VERY gently or it turns to mush.

Latest posts