New Field-judging buck age examples

fairchaser

That's great information BSK. Thanks for the presentation. I'm curious how accurate you are once the buck is on the ground after you pull the jawbone and analyze TWR to a picture or field judgement. Also how difficult is it to age a buck once he's on the ground from body characteristics alone especially the older age classes 3.5, 4.5 and 5.5? While antlers can vary greatly within an age cohort, does mass come into play when aging?

BSK

fairchaser said:
That's great information BSK. Thanks for the presentation. I'm curious how accurate you are once the buck is on the ground after you pull the jawbone and analyze TWR to a picture or field judgement.

Currently, 82% of the time my age estimate matches the teeth.

Also how difficult is it to age a buck once he's on the ground from body characteristics alone especially the older age classes 3.5, 4.5 and 5.5?

I personally find I cannot do it. Once a buck is on the ground, he has lost the "stance" characteristics which define age.

While antlers can vary greatly within an age cohort, does mass come into play when aging?

Only "on average," and that's not good enough. "On average" score increases with age as well, but score is far too variable between bucks to help in age-judging an individual.

BSK

Not heard of the software. But I'm sure it does what I do--measures the length of the front legs in relation to the depth of the chest. That is the only proven numerical measurement that is accurate.

ferg

This is like the 5th time I've read through this thread - and I take away something more each time - I don't think you can 'see' too many deer and I apply items from here to each deer I see - it's a very difficult thing to 'get good' at - if anyone ever really does -
thanks again Bryan -

plinker22

ferg said:
This is like the 5th time I've read through this thread - and I take away something more each time - I don't think you can 'see' too many deer and I apply items from here to each deer I see - it's a very difficult thing to 'get good' at - if anyone ever really does -
thanks again Bryan -

Same here ferg.

In before somebody reviews it again! :grin:

alaska_av8r

Outstanding thread thank you, I wish MSU and some of the other schools would assemble a collection of images like this to help hunters learn to age deer. After all they have an exact age of the ones in their pens and could easily take tons of pics for practice....thank you!

ThorThor

This is quality tool. A neighboring lease that my buddy is on just started a " 10 pt min" in an area where almost all 3.5 year old bucks are ten points or eights with two one inch burrs at the base lol. I told them to make it more based on age than anything to have more mature deer. The poster is right about don't worry about headgear with age attached is a pic of a 3.5 year old. He has 14 pts including two 2 inch points out of the bases also. I told a couple people I had a young 14 pt they were like no if it's got that many points it's an old deer-- nope. The pics show same deer face on and the left ear is cut. Same deer. He needs two more years to be fully mature.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 8,903
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 8,908
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 8,900

Latest posts