New Draws next year

WilcoKen

They were. Most were complete rebuilds too. People who drew them decided it wasn't worth rebuilding from where the old blind was burned.

One problem I see with the blinds is that people who build them just don't have much in the way of carpentry skills. You can't build a blind or of untreated pallet wood and expect it to lay more than one season. OSB should be forbidden too.

It takes at least four full weekends to build one right from scratch and brush it. Most guys don't want to invest that time when other hunting seasons are open.
That's right. We did 2 rebuilds on Old Hickory this year. Started in early August and finished in late September—every Saturday. Now if we'd have known they may be gone next year I don't think we'd have done it like we did it. I will probably disassemble 1 of the 2 and store it all in my barn for when I have to go with a private lease due to potential WMA changes. The way we built them they'd have lasted a long time. 2 blinds were about $4,000+. What a waste....what a shame if it happens.

Smashdn

Guys were building and brushing blinds today. Today. One day before season opens.

I don't see the point in throwing up something half-hearted that doesn't blend when you can hunt out of your boat or even off the bank and stash your boat a ways away covered up.

Displaced_Vol

I've been meaning to watch the commission meeting and read all the comments and finally got through it all. I think I liked over a dozen posts in this thread.

Here's my .02 cause why not:

This seems an answer in search of a problem. Remedying the "problem" they say is occurring can be done without any impact at all on the season long draw sites. Why don't they just convert more areas on existing wmas to 3 day quota hunt sites. Or, better yet, do exactly like AR and other Midwestern states have done and increase hunter access opportunities on private owned lands. Some of those can be run as quota to provide more "quality hunts".

As a guy that's has spent all 32 of my years living in the eastern half of both KY & TN I do truly appreciate the tough sledding for duck hunters in this part of the world. So, offer more multi day quotas at more places. I don't understand why that has to affect the season long draw spots. The reverse side of that, and much simpler is tough luck. I have driven 5 hours round trip to attend a season long draw at a west KY WMA. Had to use couple hours of my leave time and we didn't get home until 10:00 if I remember correct. It sucked, but attending the drawing was a priority for me so I made it happen. I think it's actually a good thing that TN did all their annual draws on the same day (which was a Saturday so the best possible choice for the working man). Makes a guy prioritize and plan. If my bro in Knoxville wants to get a season long draw he can choose to stay closer and theoretically get more hunting opportunities, or hit 40 and go attend one where he stands chances at better hunting.

A lot do you guys seem to like the physical presence of the blind, that's not as important to me. We have a WMA in KY that used to require hunting from f&w owned blinds or pits and it was so obvious how ducks learned to avoid those large blobs. I think assigning units that correlate to the blind spots make more sense and a group of hunters can choose to erect a behemoth and hunt in style or stay mobile within their unit and use layouts/a-frames. That's a smaller side point but thought I'd throw it out there.

KY, and I'm sure TN likes to boast about the amount of public land and that's great, but in reality far, far fewer acres are available for the public land waterfowler.
I think TN, KY should seek to offer a variety of hunting types. Some places ought to be first come first serve, no draws, no hand holding go find ducks, shoot ducks. There should be sites that are drawn for a season that provide hunters a more
Permanent home if that's their style. And A large opportunity for 3 day quota hunts. They could simply change the rule and let guys get drawn for quotas at more than one location in a season. That would offer enough opportunity for a majority of folks. Although in reality if you have a group guys that hunt together you can be strategic with preference points and get in a rhythm where your group gets a couple hunts every season.
It ain't that hard.

Pic IN the Casa

Guys were building and brushing blinds today. Today. One day before season opens.

I don't see the point in throwing up something half-hearted that doesn't blend when you can hunt out of your boat or even off the bank and stash your boat a ways away covered up.
Just curious. Where was this at?

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
They could simply change the rule and let guys get drawn for quotas at more than one location in a season. That would offer enough opportunity for a majority of folks. Although in reality if you have a group guys that hunt together you can be strategic with preference points and get in a rhythm where your group gets a couple hunts every season.
It ain't that hard.

Yes! A lot of the 3-day draws in and around the Chick don't even get hunted. Let people draw more than one, and maybe even come up with a system where people can free up ones they know they won't use.

West_Tn

A "preview" of the new system will be shared tomorrow at the meeting. Meeting is in East TN surprise surprise.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
Someone else will likely have summarized everything more succinctly by the time I've typed this up.

Cheat sheet for "tiers":

Tier 1 - Season-long blinds; hopping allowed
Tier 2 - TWRA-built, brushed, and maintained; no hopping
Tier 3 - blind "sites;" hopping allowed
Tier 4 - blind "sites;" first-come, first-serve only

Instead of one single computerized draw, there are 4 total draws, each with their own application:

1) Season-long
2) Early-season
3) Mid-season
4) Late-season

I like that instead of a single computerized draw, they divide the season into 3 parts, each of which is its own draw. You can probably put in for more hunts that way.

It was also a no-brainer to give each member of a party a draw entry, rather than making a party count the same as an individual. The trade-off is no sign-ons. Guess people could see that from a mile away after this year's inestimable individual applications. Probably goes the longest way to preventing blind-selling and bringing every non-hunting cousin to put in.

The million dollar question will be how they'll decide what tier current season-long blinds end up in. How many will change? We'll see if it's lip-service or real.

I would like to know how to give public comment (haven't done it before). I'd strongly suggest they use whatever system they use statewide, since it's unclear to me that it will be. An early slide on the presentation suggested only Units I and II will be affected. I say this since I much prefer the way the proposed Tier 3 works to the current Chickamauga draw system. If all there is on a WMA is stakes in the ground, they should be able to be hopped. Right now nobody without a card can be there even in the event of a no-show, and it's awful.

Smashdn

Tier 3 was presented as 7 day quota draws that could be jumped but would not be kept up by twra. Asst director said that would encourage people to want to build and brush those blinds? That blew me away.

I wish they would move up the due date for getting blinds brushed and ready to go. Then have an in-person draw on those blinds before they go temporary. Then a person unsuccessful at the computer draw coukd still get a blind with enough time to build one and brush it before season.

Fix all the blinds.

I don't mind hunting out of my boat blind but there are some significant advantages to the blinds.
1. Much quicker to just pull your boat into the boat hide
2. If you have to retrieve birds or chase a cripple is easier and quicker to get out of the boat hide than un-bury yourself in a boat blind.
3. Kids. Much easier for kids in a blind with a solid bottom. Back room for them to nap or cook breakfast is good too.
4. Mobility impaired folks. Easier with a blind built to accommodate their restrictions.
5. You can hunt more people more easily. I can carry 4 people in my boat but we cannot hunt 4 safely or comfortably.
6. On places like OH, it keeps you in the spot where there is no ambiguity about where you are supposed to be hunting from.

Southern Sportsman

I would like to know how to give public comment (haven't done it before).

There are a couple ways to provide input, but they should have a better system for it. However, the TN Wildlife Federation did a good job with the link above. Submit your comments through that link and it will get to the right people.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled

There are a couple ways to provide input, but they should have a better system for it. However, the TN Wildlife Federation did a good job with the link above. Submit your comments through that link and it will get to the right people.
Thanks! I did use that link yesterday; just saw it was a 3rd party organization and wasn't sure if there was a better way. Glad to hear TWF delivers it well.

Southern Sportsman

Thanks! I did use that link yesterday; just saw it was a 3rd party organization and wasn't sure if there was a better way. Glad to hear TWF delivers it well.
TWF is a legit group. They are a 501(c)(3) non-profit. Not actually a part of TWRA, but very well respected and they have close ties to and receive funding from TWRA and the fish and wildlife commission for several of their projects. They are just providing an easy way for people to submit input, which will then go directly to the commissioners and others making the decisions.

West_Tn

I would bet Reelfoot and at least some of Tigret will be the only Tier 1 blinds. They seem dead set on changing the rest, mainly Camden.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
TWF is a legit group. They are a 501(c)(3) non-profit. Not actually a part of TWRA, but very well respected and they have close ties to and receive funding from TWRA and the fish and wildlife commission for several of their projects. They are just providing an easy way for people to submit input, which will then go directly to the commissioners and others making the decisions.
Just got an e-mail response from Commissioner Wright. TWF really does get the comments to the right people, I can confirm!

Latest posts