New Draws next year

drake799

Has anyone seen or heard about the likely change to the draws next year? Seen people talking about it on Facebook and there a YouTube video touching on it during the latest TWRA meeting Sounds like everything about to change

M T Pockets 000

Don't know. I know I got drawn for Oak Ridge and got canceled. Got a letter stating I could hunt next season and was awarded a priority point. I don't have a clue what changes if any are coming

Pic IN the Casa

Yes. Computer drawings killed 4H and youth team shooting fundraising.
IIIIFFFFFF they change the computer drawing to allow you to put in as groups but let each person in the group be able to drawn as an individual I will be more willing to accept it.

This last draw, a group of two or more only had the chance to be counted as one applicant. That ain't right.

I know of a group that put in almost 80 individual names and ended up with multiple blinds. It's all fair but to me cheapens the process.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
Go to the 1 hour 51 minute mark and you can hear the proposed changes for the duck blind draw for next year. This is the Commission meeting from 10/24/2020.

tickweed

Im more interested in pressure on WMAs. I honestly think the thorny, bogota type draws would be fair, and also take some pressure off these WMAs. I have been going to the Camden draw since 1980. My name still hasn't been called.

Pic IN the Casa

Semantics question but if we go to this new way of draws (i.e., 3 day draws) then who does the rebuilds? Who brushes them in?

What do other states do with similar type situations.

WilcoKen

I love change. But if changing the system to accommodate someone that duck hunts 3 days out of 60 is where it's going that doesn't sound fair. That's as bad as making 8 count as 1 like they did this year. And I disagree about the survey size. I think the survey should be open to all duck hunters.

Pic IN the Casa

The way the presenter laid it out was to convince everyone his way is best.
Look for blinds to be filled with last weeks hunters trash. Why clean up after yourselves when you were just gonna be there a day or two.

drake799

Way i understood it. There won't be any blinds. It'll
Be boat hunting. Because we know TWRA isn't going to build and maintain blinds for people to hunt lol. It really does suck knowing that all this is changing just to accommodate some People that want to hunt just a few days!! They say it's too hard to draw a blind...... i mean geez when was it not too hard to draw one They just need to adjust the drawing process some and leave it alone. Make it where you have to put in as a group with a minimum number of people (say 5) and be done Sure looks like Tennessee duck hunting is goin the way the rest of the world is where everyone gets a participation trophy

WilcoKen

A survey can yield basically whatever you want if "designed" to do so. See last bullet point in the slide presented. If you survey the same limited group yes. But why don't you survey the entire representative group?

They "certainly have not heard from every duck hunter" but I'm pretty sure if they did the feedback would be a lot different. We saw the value of polls/surveys in November 2016. Garbage in, garbage out.

Attachments

• 06310310-657F-4EFD-9F77-9743619E0813.png
    06310310-657F-4EFD-9F77-9743619E0813.png
    929.9 KB · Views: 103

tickweed

My understanding is the blinds will go away, just the site will remain for boat hunters. The MAIN reason, or one of is not just people who never get drawn wanting a chance, its the buying, selling for years that has went on. Thorny, bogota is very popular, these spots are in high demand. It will be the same with this new system. what this is going to do, is make demand for private spots much higher, plus drive duck hunting land spots much higher. I don't care either way as far as the draw. Also, TWRA is looking at the pressure on WMAs, as duck numbers seem to be changing, habits are changing. By going to this new draw, maybe it will give them a few more rest days, which I think would help all of us. I hunt a private tract that joins Tigrett. Many years we have good numbers stack in the bottom several weeks before the season. By the time the season opens, most are pushed out by boatriders, duckwatchers. It would benefit all of us so much in the long run to keep off the WMA at least a week before the season opens. This is one thing I wish TWRA would make mandatory on all waterfowl WMAs. It would make the early hunting so much better. This is why I am in FULL support of anything that reduces pressure in west Tn.

Last edited:

beefydeer

So if this happens at Reelfoot, are you saying you can only hunt Friday, Saturday, and Sunday? That will not fly at Reelfoot.

WilcoKen

I wonder how will they determine how many hunters can occupy a site? And what about sites not accessible by water/boat (flooded field etc)? How many can hunt those sites?

Latest posts