New Draws next year

scn

I, personally, think it is a really bad idea to make massive changes to the current system. It appears to me to be an ANSWER in search of a problem. But, it looks like it is a done deal unless duck hunters revolt in the coming weeks.

Here is the contact list for the TWRA Commissioners: https://www.tn.gov/content/tn/twra/tennessee-fish-wildlife-commission.html#meet
If you oppose the changes, they need to hear from you. I'd suggest a polite and reasonably short email outlining the reasons for your opposition. Individual emails to all of them will likely carry more weight with them than something like a petition.

The TWRA Director, Asst. Director in charge of field operations (Jason Maxedon), and TWRA Chief of Wildlife also need emails outlining your thoughts on the issue.

In addition to sending in public comments, I would HIGHLY suggest contacting members of the legislature early in the upcoming session in January. If TWRA gets enough legislative heat on the issue, maybe they will think twice on carrying through with it. All of the Commissioners that will be making the decision are appointed by either the Governor, Speaker of the House, or Speaker of the Senate. I'd suggest contacting all three if you disagree with the plan. And, I would contact your local legislator as well. TWRA does listen and respond to legislative input.

If duck hunters sit back and do nothing before February, I suspect you will see a massive change in access to TWRA WMAs for duck hunting. It needs to be nipped in the bud before it is presented in February by the agency.

Crosshairy

It was also a no-brainer to give each member of a party a draw entry, rather than making a party count the same as an individual. The trade-off is no sign-ons. Guess people could see that from a mile away after this year's inestimable individual applications. Probably goes the longest way to preventing blind-selling and bringing every non-hunting cousin to put in.

I get the idea of a party of 6 people would get 6 entries (for example), and that seems like the right way to do it.

I think having no sign-ons definitely discourages blind selling, BUT I don't see how that would discourage non-hunting applicants. If you had a core group of, let's say 4 hunters... each one could form his own application group filled with other applicants that did not hunt. So that would end up with way more entries representing that core group of hunters, greatly boosting their odds of being drawn (granted, the "system" I just described would require that each hunter was always present to allow his buddies on separate applications to hunt). That's still way better than selling the spot for big dollars to the same 10 dudes every year.

TN Whitetail Freak

One answer I need to know and haven't been able to find is the number of prosecuted cases of the buying and selling of blinds, ya know the big issue they're trying to solve. I havent heard of any. Prosecution could be a resolution to the problem. Instead they rather avoid the financial obligations for the state to prosecute a case and instead take a more extreme angle and reform the blind assignment process.

casjoker

Revamping the draw system costs zero and may actually increase spending in West TN if more people have access to hunt. Which I think is their actual goal (increase sending) increasing opportunities is just a "bonus" in their plan. Prosecuting costs money you will never recoup with fines etc.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
So they are gonna make it better by providing more opportunities for people that will hunt literally 3 days and screw everything up.
Except for Reelfoot??? Really?????

Guess they know better than to mess with them so screw everyone else.

Absolutely amazes me.

Guess I will save my sportsman's license money and just fish.

Pic IN the Casa

So they are gonna make it better by providing more opportunities for people that will hunt literally 3 days and screw everything up.
Except for Reelfoot??? Really?????

Guess they know better than to mess with them so screw everyone else.

Absolutely amazes me.

Guess I will save my sportsman's license money and just fish.
Makes one wonder how many elected palms get greased in duck blinds at Reelfoot.

Granddaddy

There are places in Shelby Forest that are currently not allowable to hunt at all that could be converted to extra draw spots. They call out the southern half of the WMA as being the "Draw hunt" area, but there are flooded sloughs that could theoretically support another spot or two. The north end is way less reliable and not worth it most of the time, so I at least agree with their decision on the idea of not locking it down.
Yep have never understood the logic employed at Shelby Forrest. They should simply limit days, hours & numbers of hunters & let the hunters chose locations. No permanent blinds, no improved access, just let hunters who are willing to work & explore find their spots to hunt. There could be some excellent green timber hunting in Shelby Forrest in addition to some traditional areas like Eagle Lake, Round Pond & Brinkley Bayou. All that is needed is limited hunter numbers, limited days & limited hours, but yes there are some areas north if the TWRA would just get out of the way & quit imposing senseless rules.

TAFKAP

I'm not sure how senseless it was. I know nothing about #1-5 at Eagle Lake, but spots 7, 8, and 9 are about the only ones that they can offer access to. Sure, there are a few woodie pockets throughout, but no open holes. If they open it up to anyone that wants to draw & wander down there, they will have a ton of lost hunters to chase after. Besides, if anyone's working ducks in those three holes and someone else shoots in another one, they all leave. Magnify that by opening up access.....no thanks.

Latest posts