Need some advice

RidgeRunner13

I went and scouted a 150ish acre piece of TVA land that I had overlooked in years past today. I found plenty of dropping oaks, but not many notched caps or signs of browse in the area of those trees. I found two spots I like but I'm conflicted on how to go about the two spots. Both spots are located on a peninsula on a lake. The peninsula is only 300 yards wide and roughly 1000 yards long. The spots are about 400 yards apart.

Spot 1:
Backed by private land with an overgrown cattle field turned thicket. It's on top of a knob that is pretty much one large oak flat. I found some notched caps with signs of browse. I also found a small fresh scrape about 24" in diameter and some older rubs in the area. The bad for the spot is that there are two ATV trails in the area that make getting to it easier, even if it's still a decent piece from the parking area.

Spot 2:
Located on a bench towards the peninsula's tip. It's guarded by some pretty thick woods. BUT, once through the first section of the thick stuff it opens up enough to be able to hunt from a tree and have some shots up to about 75 yards. Now this spot was special. It also has an oak flat, but in the center of it are three white oaks that are used as feed trees. Theses deer have gotten most of the leaves off the ground in the area and there are notched caps all over the area. I found a week or two old scrape that's about the size of a car hood and 5 fresh rubs with quite a few older rubs as well. This spot made me regret not bow hunting this year.

Now the question I have is I plan on hunting here for muzzleloader and parts of rifle. Do you think spot 2 will still be active come then, or should I focus on spot 1? Once they deplete the feed tree, I'm not sure if they'll stay in that area even though it appears to offer them some protection.

RockMcL

No advice really except undetected access/presence is most important. Especially in the small area you are hunting. I'd rather not get a shot today but not spoil the spot and more chances in the future than risk it all on a marginal access plan any specific day.

Assuming your looking primarily for mature bucks, where are the does going to get away from the bucks & 4 wheelers. The bucks will find the does.

RidgeRunner13

No advice really except undetected access/presence is most important. Especially in the small area you are hunting. I'd rather not get a shot today but not spoil the spot and more chances in the future than risk it all on a marginal access plan any specific day.

Assuming your looking primarily for mature bucks, where are the does going to get away from the bucks & 4 wheelers. The bucks will find the does.
4 wheelers aren't a worry. It's an ATV trail but I don't think an ATV has seen it in years. Though, it being in public land, hunters will use it due to it being an easier walk. I agree with you about hunting the does. I'm just not sure the does will still be using that feed tree I found. They're passing over a bunch of acorns currently. Reckon they'll come back to them later in the season?

RockMcL

4 wheelers aren't a worry. It's an ATV trail but I don't think an ATV has seen it in years. Though, it being in public land, hunters will use it due to it being an easier walk. I agree with you about hunting the does. I'm just not sure the does will still be using that feed tree I found. They're passing over a bunch of acorns currently. Reckon they'll come back to them later in the season?
I am no expert by any means but deer, mature does in particular, seem to have amazing food source memory. If the other critters don't clean them out they will be back unless something else is better. I have observed a doe get out of bed, walk all the way around the end of the hollow directly up to a specific bush, eat a dozen leaves/buds off just that bush and then go direstly back to her bed and lay down. I have to assume she had been watching that plant waiting for the perfect ripeness.

Not sure what is going on on my land this year but I am seeing acorns unmolested in areas where you couldn't hardly chase the deer off them recent years. Persimmons seem to have dropped early so maybe it has been a combo thing in the past.

In my case the resident buck & doe numbers are also down in general but I am not worried since we seem to have plenty of food stores.

Just brainstorming myself but this year so far it seems we have had an abnormally high number of days with winds from the north which here, with a fair amount of terrain, may be impacting safest bedding areas and therefore preferred browsing areas...
Good luck

Latest posts