MZ bullets?

PcDeer

TNRifleman said:
I have shot 2 deer with 250 gr. Hornady SST's in front of 2 - 777 pellets. Both shot between 30 and 40 yards and fell where they were hit. I have shot my MZ off the bench quite a bit and found the SST's to be super accurate.
I started shooting Hornady SST's a couple years ago and have since started shooting Hornady out of my rifles. I've had really good luck with these.

Boll Weevil

I've decided to try something different; likely the Barnes and/or SST. Seems like there may be better options available than the PB.

Thanks all for the input.

Winchester

250grn Hornady XTP, They perform great and have shot well out of several different guns for us.

TNReb

I use 300g Hornady SST. I just started MZ hunting a couple of years ago, and they're the first bullet I tried. They pattern fine and the one deer I shot with them dropped like a sack of rocks.

... and I found a box of them on sale at the end of last season for about $7, so I couldn't really argue with that.

Southern Sportsman

Poser said:
Similar results for me with PBs as well. -killed lots of deer (.45 cal shooting 195gr), but blood trails and pass thrus are minimal. I'd like to experiment with another round/ I need to experiment with another round, but I have yet to get around to actually doing so. When I first acquired a Mzl, it came with a bunch of PBs and I was told they perform well in that particular gun, which is true as I get consistent groups. Note that I always strive for fully broadside, double lung shots and, though I have my gun zeroed for 150, my longest shot has been 70 yards. While, I'd be interested in finding better results (blood trial/ pass thru) and expanding my effective killing yardage, maybe the conservative nature of my setup is a good thing?

150 is not that conservative for a MZ. At 200 yards you can expect 12-15 inches of drop. I've shot a lot at that range and I have killed two that far, but I feel much more comfortable at 150ish. If you're getting solid 150 yard groups, I wouldn't be hard pressed to change unless it's for better penetration/blood trails. The Barnes are solid copper with perforations to allow for expansion into pedals. With the exception of a 200 yard shoulder shot (no trailing required), I have always gotten pass-throughs with the Barnes.

Boone 58

I lost several deer to "shallow penetration" shots that should have killed them cleanly , and while I loved the easy loading I despised the penetration. I switched to Hornady FPB's and have killed several bucks. The first fell within 10 yards of being hit, layed there for a few minutes then got up and moved about 15 yards and fell and died there. the next two dropped in their tracks, and one I liver hit, reflecting off his front leg instead of breaking thru it and I chased him 500 yards before he expired from the destroyed liver. That shot was on me and my fault but this heavier bullet is my favorite. I haven't tried the heaviest of the P.B.'s but would be willing to.

AT Hiker

Out of my Prohunter .50cal I shoot 90grains of Blackhorn with Barnes 250gr TMZ BT, I throw away the sabot that comes with it and use a Harvester crushed rib sabot.

So far this year I have shot it 11 times and killed a pronghorn at 160 yards (he dropped dead in his tracks) without once cleaning it or running a swab through.

Here is my target before I went to WY. Center group is 50 yards and the top group is 100 yards, this was NOT out of a vice and by far the best grouping I have ever had with a muzzle loader. I do not consider myself an expert marksman so I am extremely happy with this combo.

Do some research on your gun, if you can shoot the blackhorn I highly suggest it. The fact of not having to swab the barrel every other time is fantastic, the increased accuracy I got was a bonus.

stringtalker

Every muzzleloader is different. Each one will like a different bullet or powder, we all know this. My cva wolf is deadly accurate with my setup. It will consistantly make one bullet hole out of a 3 shot group at 75 yards. But i take alot of slack with what bullet i shoot. I shoot a 185 grain. 45 caliber c.o.p. bullet with a harvester short black sabot over 2 50 grain triple 7 pellets in my. 50 cal. I can shoot up to five times and never clean my barrel and never loose accuracy. Is it a small bullet yes, but i still get good penetration. I can shoot through 2 one gallon milk jugs full of water. I get told im stupid but i like my set-up, it works for me

Hunter 257W

I've noticed one common denominator often mentioned regarding a load that drops deer in their tracks and that is a high shoulder shot placement. I rarely have a drop-in-their-tracks shot but then I never use the high shoulder shot either. It only makes sense when you think about what the high shoulder shot is hitting. The spine and shoulder are pretty darned important and once you bust them up, the game is over. It would be interesting to take a poll on who has used this shot, and the results, to see what % drop in their tracks.

Still, it seems that you are going to lose meat compared to a behind the shoulder shot that loses practically nothing with a pure broadside shot angle.