My Blackbeard Island Bowhunt

PickettSFHunter

Thought I would share about my experience going on this unique bowhunt this year... This is the oldest federally managed hunt in the US, two annual bowhunts have been held since 1946 with a few exceptions for hurricanes and government shutdowns. The island is named for Blackbeard the pirate and has a storied history. No one lives on the island and the only way over is by private boat or chartered boat. It is located South of Savannah Georgia and is managed by the US Fish and Wildlife Service.

The hunt started with very cold temps for the area(30's) and ended with torrential downpours and high winds with temps in the 70's. LOTS of deer inhabit this island, so, I figured it wouldn't be to much trouble to get one or three, especially since I have decent experience hunting a nearby coastal island. I was dead wrong about that! Blackbeard is very different. Everything is super super thick for the most part.

My plan was to key in on the beach area, as I knew this is where most palm berries would be. I was right about that and deer sign was insane, but it was way thick to walk from the beach to the dunes. I literally had to crawl part of that while being stuck with cactus and everything else. I ended up having to walk parallel dunes in deep sand for 0.7 miles, after having walked the daily 3 miles from camp, just to get to the area I was hunting. Then I couldn't find a tree to get in to save my life, even with wild edge stepps and a hang on stand.

Anyway, I didn't locate a decent tree until the last evening of the hunt, yes it's that bad in the beach/dune/marsh area. I ended up
averaging about 12 miles of walking per day just getting out there and looking for a tree. I saw about 15 deer and 2 hogs, all out of range with the exception of one 7 point that I shot right over on the last evening. To end it, we got hit with 6 inches of rain and 30 mph winds with several boats getting stranded on sand bars.

All in all, I loved the challenge even though my body still hurts and I actually lost weight.
I will go back and I feel that I can do much better next time since I located a tree(though I do need to find more). The USFWS that run the hunt were excellent and do a great job making sensible rules to ensure a quality hunt. The success rate ended up at 28%, which I know TN would drool over but that's actually very low for this hunt. I feel like if I had hunted the interior of the island, I may have gotten a deer but probably wouldn't have seen so much game.
b9a93d1fe64db81c1323f03c44ad91f0.jpg

7fbc06182b338cf0b03b5521c3cab875.jpg
1e38dc65eb4bff450f10266f1308bc8c.jpg
225f3ba85158d283b03098f8cc9d5778.jpg
1a95e8ddb43342217db2049f07a445fe.jpg
d0f2eed8f3e11e695048503bedf2045b.jpg
fde49e809bbf77ef8dd35a0b05cd59d5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRSJ35

Man you cant beat the experience. I'd love too see that place.Kind of what the untouched coast use to look like before the condo's were built.

Andy S.

You definitely go on some cool hunts/adventures that you will be able to reflect on, and talk about, for the rest of your life. Kudos to you and thanks for sharing.

fairchaser

That's a very cool and unusual whitetail hunt. I hunted Anticosti Island a couple times and it was similar in some respects except much colder and with rifles. But it's cool to see a deer wandering around a beach eating seaweed. It's all about the experience. Thanks for sharing your story.

alaska_av8r

Wow thanks for the pics, that brought back some memories from when I was able to hunt there in the 80s. Im glad to hear it is still a fantastic place to hunt. I hunted there 4 times and it was two drawhunts back then, one early with gators and snakes and a late hunt. Do they still drive the jeeps pulling trailers for hunters and deer several times a day? I also hunted mostly beachside up northwest, the second year found a place that to access dry you had to go out to the beach, then up the beach then back inland and cross a narrow spit of dry, then you had your own many island about 10 acres. Right in the middle was a live oak I named the hotel, you could walk straight up a limb to the trunk, then step limb to limb to where they all spread and lay down for a nap, priorities ya know, killed lot of deer from that tree. Finally got smart and carried hip boots the third year, went to the hotel and marked a trail straight west back to the road with reflective thumb tacks that took 30 min off the walk. Where it intersected the road I talked one of my more monkey inclined friends to climb out one of those high limbs over the road and we placed three tacks in a line to mark the trail out of view of the jeep headlights, and I would leave the hip boots just off the road, gosh that was fun. Found another buck hole closer to camp as well.

Do they still have the huge stuffed rattlesnake in the glass case? They used to say they had a population of appx 130 deer per square mile, same now?

I'm envious and miss that place, after all these years not sure I could provide any good info on those locations but would be willing to try if interested, probably changed a lot.

Thanks for sharing and stirring up memories.

alaska_av8r

It was insane back then you'd hunt all day and see 50 deer at all times of the day. Live weights were 50-115 pds on average, I once carried two deer out one on each shoulder..lol. It was like hunting big bunnies. My buddy and I were sitting on a small knoll in palmettos one day eating lunch, I was eating a sammich and looked up, told him don't move, laid down my sammich, picked up bow and shot a doe, she ran about 20 yds and fell just out of sight, picked up my sammich and continued eating. Neither one of us said anything for a while. Finally he looked over and said, don't that beat all, I said yep. Lol

As Pickett will likely agree it is a must hunt.

Latest posts