Mount Roosevelt (Old Stage Rd - south side of 70)

Tnhunter14

I have a pretty good idea of right and wrong for WMA rules…
But, experienced and someone a whole lot more knowledgeable than I on regulations for WMA's is always helpful.
I have a brother-in-law (meth head), who has assigned himself as "president" of some land located within the WMA.
My opinion (which ain't worth nuttin now days), he's gonna wind up trying to make meth and or anything else he can come with in his head on that property.
As of right now, he's been taking a 32 horse powered Johne Deere front end loader tractor up there and destroyed the road going in, not to mention the trees he has cut down on WMA and other private property owners trees.
This has been going on on and off about 1.5 to 2 months.
He's now put up a cattle gate blocking WMA road and has a surveillance camera pointing at the gate and nailed a PRIVATE PROPERTY sign to a tree. The property is WMA per onX app, the owned property is another 2.1 miles in.
I've called the game warden in Crossville and notified them, not sure if they have caught him actually performing illegal stuff.
I don't claim the meth head. Nor do I even have anything to do with him in the past 20 years.
It's heartbreaking to see this land being destroyed by someone who has no idea how to cut a road in much less cut down trees on WMA and other property owners trees within the WMA.
I thought about sending letters to each owner and give them a chance to take legal action.

Attachments

• IMG_2475.jpeg
    IMG_2475.jpeg
    402.5 KB · Views: 20

Tnhunter14

Contact the wildlife officer for the area. If they do not respond or act then go up the chain
I have contacted the Officer over that area (Don Chance per the listing under the Mount Roosevelt regulations).
I've also tried recontacting him to let them know the status of the gate and nailed in trees of signs and cutting of more woods.

Like you said, may have go up through the chain of command.

jlanecr500

Looks like he put up a gate at the end of the 2nd clearcut.If so, there is a property owner gate about 1/4 mile beyond it that does have signs and a camera.. That road IS the landowners access as far as I know. That may be why the gates are locked down at hwy70.

Tnhunter14

Looks like he put up a gate at the end of the 2nd clearcut.If so, there is a property owner gate about 1/4 mile beyond it that does have signs and a camera.. That road IS the landowners access as far as I know. That may be why the gates are locked down at hwy70.
Land owner access I understand, but why block the road for everyone else?

Joe2Kool

Document when you have called and left messages. After 3-4 unreturned calls, as said above, start going up the ladder.

Do you know the property owners that have been infringed on? If so, talk to them.

If I was riding on the WMA and came to that gate, even if OnX said it was part of the WMA, I would turn around.

If it is truly part of the WMA, then it needs to be taken care of.

Good luck.

Latest posts