Mother’s Day bird

Gravey

Got up this morning and drove to Waverly for church and lunch with my mom. Went back to my parents house for a bit and was going to change clothes there and stop at the lease on the way home. Somehow my pants and shirt didn't make it into the truck 🤦‍♂️ so went to my brother's house and borrowed some from him. Head out and get set up around 4:00. Backstory here is I stopped Friday afternoon on the way back from Memphis to hunt a couple hours. Had made my way back to the car at 5:40 and had a bird gobble. Went after him and got close as I could hear the rattle at the end of his gobble but never could see him or get him to commit coming through some thick stuff. Knowing where he was I thought he might be back today so set up and am pouring sweat. About 30 minutes later I heard drumming and looked left. When I did he was standing there in full strut at 30 yards or so and I couldn't move. When I turned my head a hen behind me must've seen me and started putting. I froze and watched them walk back down the field edge behind me. I was in some thick stuff for cover and shade so wasn't sure where they went. I knew there was one hen and two jakes. I spun around and got my gun on the other side of the big cedar I was beside in case they came back. Threw a few yelps in a couple of times and see one of the jakes coming back. Eventually I see the gobbler but having trouble getting a range on him through the couple of openings I had. Eventually I get stood up beside the big cedar and have my gun pointed his direction. At 36 yards I squeeze the trigger and "click". Was able to get the shell out and eased another in. 38 yards and "click". I'm about to die as I can see him and one of the jakes. I ease the gun down behind the tree and slid the action as if I didn't care what kind of noise it made. They looked up for a second and then back to feeding. I put the dot on him for the third time, yelped on the mouth call and watched his head pop up. Squeezed the trigger and this time he rolled. Looked at my phone and it was 4:45. It then hit me I had killed my first one this year, first one with the Stoeger 3020 20-gauge with tss and also first multi beard bird I've ever killed even though the second beard is super thin. Bird gobbled quite a bit Friday but today only spitting & drumming.

19 lbs 10 oz
8 1/2" & 2" beards
1" spurs

IMG_3545.jpegIMG_3548.jpegIMG_3551.jpegIMG_3558.jpeg

Hduke86

I really don't know but can only assume I didn't have the action closed all the way. I checked both shells and there's no ding on the primer at all. That's what I'm hoping for anyway.
I've had that happen before cause if I'm getting into the woods about to turkey hunt. I usually slowly close the action on my semi and double check that it's closed up all the way.

knightrider

I really don't know but can only assume I didn't have the action closed all the way. I checked both shells and there's no ding on the primer at all. That's what I'm hoping for anyway.
If there's no dents than i would say you had the inertia click. I always slam mine shut , learned hard way lol Congratulations on the bird

prstide

Got up this morning and drove to Waverly for church and lunch with my mom. Went back to my parents house for a bit and was going to change clothes there and stop at the lease on the way home. Somehow my pants and shirt didn't make it into the truck 🤦‍♂️ so went to my brother's house and borrowed some from him. Head out and get set up around 4:00. Backstory here is I stopped Friday afternoon on the way back from Memphis to hunt a couple hours. Had made my way back to the car at 5:40 and had a bird gobble. Went after him and got close as I could hear the rattle at the end of his gobble but never could see him or get him to commit coming through some thick stuff. Knowing where he was I thought he might be back today so set up and am pouring sweat. About 30 minutes later I heard drumming and looked left. When I did he was standing there in full strut at 30 yards or so and I couldn't move. When I turned my head a hen behind me must've seen me and started putting. I froze and watched them walk back down the field edge behind me. I was in some thick stuff for cover and shade so wasn't sure where they went. I knew there was one hen and two jakes. I spun around and got my gun on the other side of the big cedar I was beside in case they came back. Threw a few yelps in a couple of times and see one of the jakes coming back. Eventually I see the gobbler but having trouble getting a range on him through the couple of openings I had. Eventually I get stood up beside the big cedar and have my gun pointed his direction. At 36 yards I squeeze the trigger and "click". Was able to get the shell out and eased another in. 38 yards and "click". I'm about to die as I can see him and one of the jakes. I ease the gun down behind the tree and slid the action as if I didn't care what kind of noise it made. They looked up for a second and then back to feeding. I put the dot on him for the third time, yelped on the mouth call and watched his head pop up. Squeezed the trigger and this time he rolled. Looked at my phone and it was 4:45. It then hit me I had killed my first one this year, first one with the Stoeger 3020 20-gauge with tss and also first multi beard bird I've ever killed even though the second beard is super thin. Bird gobbled quite a bit Friday but today only spitting & drumming.

19 lbs 10 oz
8 1/2" & 2" beards
1" spurs

View attachment 178757View attachment 178756View attachment 178758View attachment 178759
Awesome story and way to be persistent through adversity. Congrats!

prstide

Don't finesse the action on those guns or it'll happen. Let that SOB go and slam home on its own. Problem solved!

Huntaholic

Great job keeping your composure and getting it done! I did the same thing once in NE hunting merriams. 870 didnt fire and here I sit with about 15 hens and a strutter 30 yards in front of me in a field! Only I didnt get as lucky as you did, when I went to eject and reload I shortshucked it and jammed the whole thing up! Anybody thats ever did this knows when that happens the barrel has to come off to clear the jam, so here I am, laying flat on my back tearing my gun down to get back in the game! Believe it or not, I managed to pull it off and get it loaded, slam the forearm forward, raise up to my knees, and still killed the strutter! John Beard mounted that one for me and he asked if he could enter in the competition at the Convention. Of course I said yes and he ended up winning the show with it! He even let me have the blue ribbon! He kept the bronze trophy though lol.

Bone Collector

Congrats Chad! On those stoegers, when you put the first shell in and hit the button to let the bolt go home, if it doesn't go fast and hard, give it a push forward. I have never had an issue with my 3500 until last year and that was due to me trying to be quiet while loading as I forgot to load up and when I got out the boat in the woods, I had to load. Same thing happened. I shot and click... he ran. I got lucky and found another and making sure that bolt was fully seated, sealed his fate.

Latest posts