3 bird limit???

Iglow

I've got a pair of killdeers nesting on the gravel drive going back to the house, they are on their fourth try. They lay 4 eggs each time. First time I noticed her sitting was at the end of February. Last 3 tries something has got the eggs.

Iglow

Suburbs. These flocks are gobbler heavy. Doesn't mean more turkeys at all.
This is a good point, I've got a friend that lives in a subdivision very close to downtown nashville, turkeys have moved in to that area and are increasing every year. They have coons and yotes and every other night hunter there plus the usual raptors. I just asked him what he thought the hen to gobbler ratio is and he said close to 50/50. He sees them every day and he's probably the best turkey hunter I know and has been for 25 years so he knows turkeys. These turkeys are unhunted by people so that loss isn't a factor in their population.

REN

I've got a pair of killdeers nesting on the gravel drive going back to the house, they are on their fourth try. They lay 4 eggs each time. First time I noticed her sitting was at the end of February. Last 3 tries something has got the eggs.
man those things are vicious when on nest lol. I had a pair last year make a nest under my back fence and when I came by mowing they would be PISSSSED!

so much so I just stopped moving around that part of the fence just to leave them alone (and give them some cover as well)

REN

Speaking of "yard birds" I've had 4 of them about 300yds from my house the past week haha

I see them every morning taking my kids to school in the same persons yard (they put corn out for the deer)

IMG_9411.png

AT Hiker

I'm at the point now were I'd like to see reintroduction phase take place again.

I drive 54 miles many mornings, one way, from Northern Dickson county, through Montgomery and up into Christian County KY. Since mid March I have only seen 3 fields with birds in them. 15 years ago you couldn't count the numbers, you'd have to dodge them on the roads.

Iglow

I'm at the point now were I'd like to see reintroduction phase take place again.

I drive 54 miles many mornings, one way, from Northern Dickson county, through Montgomery and up into Christian County KY. Since mid March I have only seen 3 fields with birds in them. 15 years ago you couldn't count the numbers, you'd have to dodge them on the roads.
Yes, I usta see numerous turkeys hit on the roads just like deer in November, not anymore.

TheLBLman

Not that I don't agree with you, but . . . . . .

2023 may have been the single greatest acorn mast production year ever in this area, particularly including red oaks.

Turkeys still seem to be majorly focused on eating acorns.
Contrary to popular thought, deer don't eat them all up, and turkeys are often still eating them thru March.

In really good acorn years, you will commonly not see as many turkeys in fields during March.
I suspect there are currently more turkeys in the areas you're driving than it may appear.
And we'd both like to see more, a lot more:D

AT Hiker

2023 may have been the single greatest acorn mast production year ever in this area, particularly including red oaks.

Contrary to popular thought, deer don't eat them all up, and turkeys are often still eating them thru March.

In really good acorn years, you will commonly not see as many turkeys in fields during March.
I suspect there are currently more turkeys in the areas you're driving than it may appear.
No doubt about it, I totally believe many of the once visible birds are on acorns, at least I hope so. Actually, I was recently walking through a fresh burn. The exposed acorns were mind blowing. I kid you not, as of late March in this particular area I seen more acorns on the ground than I do during the fall in a normally "bumper" crop year.

However, it has been a downward trend over the last decade+. The flocks started by getting smaller, then more spread out, then completely disappear from these large field regions.

TheLBLman

Actually, I was recently walking through a fresh burn. The exposed acorns were mind blowing. I kid you not, as of late March in this particular area I seen more acorns on the ground than I do during the fall in a normally "bumper" crop year.
THAT's what I was talkin' about! :D
Had that area not been burned, you simply could not have appreciated just how many acorns were still available to the turkeys.

Andy S.

I was recently walking through a fresh burn. The exposed acorns were mind blowing. I kid you not, as of late March in this particular area I seen more acorns on the ground than I do during the fall in a normally "bumper" crop year.
Guaranteed this is true for a lot of areas. We are seeing similar results (acorns galore) under oaks where we have raked the leaves over last few weeks. More acorns than one would ever believe if he/she did not witness it firsthand.

Iglow

THAT's what I was talkin' about! :D
Had that area not been burned, you simply could not have appreciated just how many acorns were still available to the turkeys.
We had heck of a time trying to tree a squirrel this year cause of the acorn crop, just unbelievable. It was like walking on a floor covered in marbles. I've never seen anything like it.

Chiflyguy

9 pages, lots of data.
You guys are a lot smarter than me.
I'm just happy to get out turkey hunting.

Setterman

Then more gobblers would mean more poults in that situation?
Not sure what you're suggesting. But I think you're assuming that all gobblers are actively breeding once dominance is established. That is not the case at all. Have you ever seen lone gobblers with no interest or hens during the season? I do routinely and those aren't breeding

hbg1

Not sure what you're suggesting. But I think you're assuming that all gobblers are actively breeding once dominance is established. That is not the case at all. Have you ever seen lone gobblers with no interest or hens during the season? I do routinely and those aren't breeding
Pretty straight forward, more peckers means more peckers.

deerhunter10

And we'd both like to see more, a lot more:D
Unbelievable acorn crop by far the biggest I've ever seen in my life. Turkeys are still eating on them for sure.