Most Commonly Disregarded/Broken Reg

TX300mag

What's the most commonly disregarded rule you see? What do you think is the cause, ignorance? Lack of practicality of the reg? Outdated?

The most common one I see is lack of required orange head covering. Public land hunters seem more compliant from my experience, but more times than not I see hunters on private land disregarding it. I do understand the exemption for hunters hunting their own land, I see pictures and videos all the time without them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MickThompson

Most Commonly Disregarded/Broken Reg

Individual bag limits on migratory birds

Lots of folks invite extra people to duck/dove hunt so they can fill the bag limit of their buddy who can't hit the broadside of a barn.

Hardwoodmaterials

Re: Most Commonly Disregarded/Broken Reg

Probably where your only allowed 2x's the daily bag limit in your possession including in your freezer. I don't think I know anyone who hasn't broken that law and a lot of fisherman are in constant violation.

Shanman

I can't think of just one that is abused anymore than some others. Think every season has some front runners for sure though, also believe that the county matters. Like mentioned above, bag limits on migratory birds and orange requirements have to rank in the top. Creel limits on trout, especially tailwaters is another. Very common for locals to use the it as a grocery store, catch their limit take them home and come back for more. Shooting turkeys with a rifle is popular in some counties, in a few of our East Tn counties shooting deer out of a vehicle or spotting lightning is almost a family tradition.

nabowhunter

Gauging by the amount of corn and feeders that rural king, walmart, tractor supply, etc sell I would say baiting. I was in our rural king this week and was blown away by the amount of baiting material they have. I was blown away. Even found a treebark colored feeder/pipe thing with straps for mounting on a tree lol.

Bone Collector

nabowhunter":3spxvnvs said:
Gauging by the amount of corn and feeders that rural king, walmart, tractor supply, etc sell I would say baiting. I was in our rural king this week and was blown away by the amount of baiting material they have. I was blown away. Even found a treebark colored feeder/pipe thing with straps for mounting on a tree lol.

This is my guess. Even funnier than all the baiting materials they have is going in a week or so before ML opens and seeing 7-10 pallets of corn, then go in the Monday after the opener and all the pallets are empty....

Racknquack

Agree on baiting... pallets and pallets of "deer corn"sold at Walmart...

JeepKuntry

Hardwoodmaterials":3vdhyvn6 said:
Probably where your only allowed 2x's the daily bag limit in your possession including in your freezer. I don't think I know anyone who hasn't broken that law and a lot of fisherman are in constant violation.

This rule needs to be removed. Many people fish and fill the freezer for the year. Same as hunters who fill the freezer to cut down grocery bills.

Hardwoodmaterials

JeepKuntry":2xomdxob said:
Hardwoodmaterials":2xomdxob said:

This rule needs to be removed. Many people fish and fill the freezer for the year. Same as hunters who fill the freezer to cut down grocery bills.

I agreed it should be removed but I bet it's the most broken one on the books and most probably doesn't even know it exists. I didn't know about it til a few months ago.

rem270

I'll tell off on myself and say the orange requirements. A lot of time I only wear my orange vest and no hat. I usually throw my camo beanie on and leave the orange hat in the truck. This is Ky where orange is required even on my own land so a ticket will or should be issued to me if I'm caught. I have been doing better about it lately but am not 100% on it.

Nsghunter

I only break the orange rule, that I know off. I will remove my head covering from time to time for a few moments. I usually only do this if I see no other cars in the parking lot and it gets too hot. Sometimes I will reluctantly remove it while I "bust the Brush" to get to an area. I hate loosing my hat or beanie to a limb/briar.

Jcalder

Snake":2tmy6vt6 said:
Electronic check in by far . Too easy not to those who want to keep hunting although they are tagged out .
it's no different now than it was before.

larry ipock

PickettSFHunter":2hpqiepj said:
Baiting or road hunting in my area. It's just an accepted way of hunting here.

Same in Scott County. Also shooting deer and not checked in. Mentioned it to some of them. Their most common reply is, hey, I gonna git all I can, everybody else is..

I,m guilty of breaking the orange rule quite often, no excuse.

waynesworld

So excuse my lack of knowledge but are you saying that a hat has to be worn all the time? My understanding was that you had to have a total of 500 sq inches on upper body and hat. So if your jacket has 500 inches it would be good.

Jcalder

waynesworld":1pc17eg1 said:
So excuse my lack of knowledge but are you saying that a hat has to be worn all the time? My understanding was that you had to have a total of 500 sq inches on upper body and hat. So if your jacket has 500 inches it would be good.

I think the regs say upper body AND head. So yes, a hat is to be worn.

I know of an instance where a guy was dragging his deer out. He got hot and went to pull his coat off. Obviously, the best came off first. Had the game warden not seen it happen the way it did he said he would have issued a citation. Kinda silly. Something else I've noticed, and I have one, is under armor makes a great face mask. Probably the only piece I have from them that is worth the money. Never seen one come in orange. Most states have the orange requirement so I don't see why they don't offer it.

Latest posts