Most memorable trip

huntkid

My first real post so bear with me an it's a long but I do believe entertaining to all who read. I have a 10 ye old who eats sleeps breaths hunting trapping well outdoors in general. We have just this year put in a food plot an I know I was behind but just completed his shooting house two weeks ago how time gets away.But I've never been an avid deer hunter or any hunting besides coon that I quit doing 15 plus year ago but he loves it so I'm learning quick as I can.Today we made a morning hunt super uneventful an he let 2 does walk sit an watched him be a kid as I read the hunting with kids thread. Went in this afternoon an done some finishing touches on the blind an waited had a bobcat come out about 5, he makes two shots missed Both times ok he's ten first time seeing one. I get him calmed down an we had a six point come about 540 he wants to let it walk we watch it an it starts looking back where 10 min later the biggest buck we have ever seen on our property eases out of some thick brush not offering a shot but easing closer way to slowly he finally turns broadside an my boy takes the shot clean miss but by it's behavior we both though good hit tail down squats low then bolts out the food plot both deer leave an 2 min later we see one coming back in i thought has too be small six he is up dancing an crying with joy in the blind I try to calm him down before telling him the big one is back I do he gets ready an a second one enters the field. He about crumbles an as I tell him to calm down an take his time he shoots. Between panic nerves an every other emotion he shot the wrong deer it's still his personal best an made a good shot but he killed the six instead of the big one luckily he ran out of shells he was so angry an had to sit an watch the big one eat for another 30 min. it's his first buck this year an like I told him you gotta learn from your mistakes an god has a plan in all he does but I'm super proud of the time an energy he puts in an the memories this is one afternoon that will never be forgotten.
IMG_0230.jpeg

Topshelf

Dude what a great time and great post! Congratulations to yall and get back out there and get him on that big one!

Topshelf

Sure would be cool to take him tomorrow evening and tag out on the big one . That would be amazing to tag out in 2 days on his first year hunting.

DoubleRidge

Congratulations to you both! Making some great memories! Something tells me that young man has some good bucks in his future! Sounds like he is determined! Good luck! Hope ya'll get the bigger one!

JJ3

Excellent memories and nice first buck — a lot like my daughters first one. She killed a doe whe she was 10. She went with me a number of times the next year and several times had 8 pts in front of us, other times does. But she would shake so bad and she never pulled the trigger. I learned she was flinching at the sound of the shot so had her start wearing ear muffs. And got her out shooting a 22 on target a lot. She got her first buck the following year and has been hunting with me for the past 2 decades now.

Ski

The kill is but a cherry on top. The real fun is the time together preparing for it. Seems the boy is hooked. Congrats to him and best wishes for getting the one that got away!

Latest posts