Missed the big one

Black Titan

Hunting Oak Ridge Achery this weekend. Set up at the edge of a pine row. Not in my climber today, instead using a tree seat on the ground. Im up against a big bush so I have some cover. Got in and setup right at first light.

I wasn't sat down for no more than 5 minutes it seemed, and here come a doe. She come in on my left, my weak side since I'm a lefty. I couldn't get a chance to get setup for a shot, so I just watched her. She come up to about 20 yards, and saw me. Was staring a hole through me.

I remembered what some folks said in my buck fever thread about making eye contact, so I looked away but kept her in my peripheral. She moved again, broadside to me, and I turned my head slowly to follow. She wasn't having it, kept looking right at me. She started stomping the ground, and I was just squinting to barely keep my eye on her. She stomped again, and turned back and went slowly down my left side and behind me.

While watching her, a young deer, guessing doe, came down the same path. She never spotted me, and there were a couple times I could have drawn, but decided not to since it was such a young deer. This deer hung around FOREVER. Was still watching it, and I asked my uncle if I should use my grunt. He's 18ft up a tree almost right above me. He texted back and said yeah.

So I hit my growler tube, just a few short clicks, and a little bit longer. I was standing, with my bow in my hand. No later than 10 seconds passed, and here comes an absolute tank of a buck. I counted 10 points but that was a quick glance and he could have easily been 12. This thing was a monster. Id guestimate over 200 pounds. Biggest deer ive ever seen in person in 40 years. He was mature. Darker hair, antlers werent white but more of a honey amber color. Head down, all fluffed up, on a mission, stomping through broadside the whole way. I have no idea where he came from. It was like he just materialized out of nowhere about 30 yards to my left.

Now yall might remember my buck fever thread. None of that happened this time. Before I realized it, I was at full draw, found my anchor, and was tracking that deer with my 20 yard dot on the sweet spot as he continued to stomp through.

Now when I say before I realized it, I mean I don't even remember drawing. It was like all of a sudden I realized that I was at full draw and aiming. I was locked and ready to go. I surprised myself. My heart wasn't racing, I wasn't shaking, I was breathing steady, and completely in focus.

Now remember when I said that doe come in on my within 5 minutes of me sitting down? I never had time to range the trees around me. It wasn't light enough for my range finder to work at that time. So I'm tracking this buck with my 20 yard pin locked on like a precision laser guided instrument, and then it happened.

Like I said, he was on a mission. STOMP. STOMP
STOMP. STOMP. I let out a "meh". STOMP. STOMP STOMP STOMP. "mehhhh" meeeeeeh" STOMP STOMP STOMP STOMP. He was about to pass my shot window where it would be a quartering away angle. I had followed him throughout about a 70 degree radius at full draw. Finally, I let out another louder MEH and he slowed, but behind a tree. He moved again and I practically yelled MMEEEEH! and he stopped, perfect broadside shot, at what I thought was about 25 yards or a little more. I moved my pin up to the top of his back, pulled tension into my back, and the arrow released.

It sailed about an inch over his back. He had to have felt the wind off it. He did a high tail kick and took off about 40 yards, tail straight up in the air, and stopped and stared back in my direction. I was waiting for my uncle to take a follow up shot and he never did. He has a crossbow. I grabbed another arrow out of my quiver as fast as I could, but he took off again, bounding over the hill.

After grunting a time or two hoping he would come back, I got my range finder out of my pack and ranged the tree he stopped at. 18.8 yards. If I hadn't raised my pin to the top of his back, that was a literal chip shot. I can drill the X all day long at 20.

So I got rattled to death on a spike with buck fever, and a dad gum absolute trophy of a buck comes within 20 yards and I remained cool as a cucumber, but sailed one right over his back. What an amazing first deer that could have been.

Side note, I'm gaining confidence in my grunt tube and calls. This makes 3 now I've called in. My uncle spooked a small buck yesterday and he bounded off, and I started grunting and he came right back.

Hope he comes back through this evening.

BT

philsanchez76

Wow what a story! From your first one you shared to this one, 2 things are constant. One you keep a great positive attitude and two, you keep getting into deer! Cant lose with that combo eventually. Stay after em. oh yeah, I missed a 150 inch deer at 40 yards with a muzzleloader my first season. ive still never seen a larger deer than that on the hoof (and may never, who knows). But 5 years later, im kind of glad I didn't kill him, cuz every other deer would just be small. This way ive been slowly able to work up on older and older and larger and larger bucks over a period of time. im glad for it.

Last edited:

killingtime 41

I haven't hunted there since 2018 give or take a year. Use to get it every year no problem. No as easy these days. It's always discouraging to miss. But sometimes you gotta tell yourself. At least I had the opportunity.

Black Titan

I haven't hunted there since 2018 give or take a year. Use to get it every year no problem. No as easy these days. It's always discouraging to miss. But sometimes you gotta tell yourself. At least I had the opportunity.

I'm definitely thankful for the experience. The whole thing was surreal. I cant figure out how he just appeared. I was just looking that way and didn't see anything. Then all of a sudden WHAM here he comes like a steam roller.

I know they can move quiet, but that was crazy. Even after I watched a doe jump a ditch yesterday and not make a sound, you would think I would have heard something coming from his direction.

BT

Black Titan

DOH! That sucks but sounds like an incredible experience, one that will haunt your thoughts for years to come.

I'd guess that buck was bedded very nearby, probably locked with that big doe and why she didn't bolt immediately.

You might be right. He was right on the same path she was on before she started stomping at me and turned back.

BT

Black Titan

Been scrolling youtube and come across this little clip - this is pretty darn close to what the buck I missed looked like. Mine was a little bigger bodied it seemed, but like I said he was all puffed up ready to fight.

BT

Bgoodman30

Man I know the feeling... Hate that for you.. Suffering the same pain you are right now..

One good thing Youtube is good for is showing slow-mo of shot placement and deer ducking the shot.. Aim low!

Black Titan

Man I know the feeling... Hate that for you.. Suffering the same pain you are right now..

One good thing Youtube is good for is showing slow-mo of shot placement and deer ducking the shot.. Aim low!

Yeah I'm learning that now. Been watching/researching alot on it. Man I really wish I hadn't misjudged that yardage. I'm normally pretty darn decent at that and only off by a couple of yards just eye balling things. I guess that being in the heat of the moment and looking through the scope I guessed wrong, way wrong.

Not to make an excuse, but I also found put yesterday evening that my sights second axis had become knocked off, by a whole tick mark. Not sure if I did this lowering it from my stand on Saturday, or kicked it when I was packing up. But it shifted my pins lower, making me raise the bow even higher to aim at the top of the back.

BT

Latest posts