Missed by an inch...

BSK

That was my point, i was considering that the injury might not been made from a rifle
Or bow, but possibly by another means . In my area, that deer would likely not deemed a shooter by virtually any hunter due to its young age
Considering that picture is dated 12/29, that's certainly a 2 1/2 year-old buck. Lots of hunters would be thrilled to kill any 2 1/2 year-old buck, especially those that don't get to put in many hunting days.

Tenntrapper

Considering that picture is dated 12/29, that's certainly a 2 1/2 year-old buck. Lots of hunters would be thrilled to kill any 2 1/2 year-old buck, especially those that don't get to put in many hunting days.
If you don't mind...2.5 or 3.5?
Different buck, same day.
IMG_20240106_105143.jpg

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
I did that once with a shotgun. Me and my nephew hunted on a local WMA up in Indiana and got set up maybe 200 yards apart. Before light there a group of deer running all over the place blowing and chasing, and when it got light they ended up 35 yards from my stand. Three bucks chasing a hot doe. I settle on a really wide 8 and squeezed off a shot. He and the rest jumped but only maybe 5-10 yards, and they all just looked around. I settled on him again, shot, and they all take off in the direction of my nephew. In a few seconds he shoots and texts me he got one. I go over to him and it wax the same buck I shot at with two fresh streaks across his back from my two shots. It was dialed in before season but must have bumped the scope hard or something cuz it was way off when we got home.

killingtime 41

I've missed before it happens to all of us at some point and for different reasons. Branch in the way you didn't see and so on. Not just terrible marksman skills. And who knows how far the shot was.

redblood

The more i look at that picture, the more i doubt that was from a high powered rifle. The shock and path of destruction that close to the spine would have surely paralyzed him