might make a few potatoes

WTM

$2 worth of seed and 15 bucks worth of container soil. we will see how many it makes. its just too wet here nowadays to have an early tater crop in ground.

9FD31DEC-C213-40F7-8748-2A5150D5655C.jpeg

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
I have a blend of soil that's mulch, compost and topsoil.
I put about 4 inches of soil in the bag, place 4 cut and dried seed potatoes in the soil and then fill the bag to about 16 inches. I set them in a shallow pool made of a sheet of plastic with boards under it to trap water.
I wrap additional seed potatoes in a paper sack and store them under the house for my second crop that I will plant in July and harvest in October.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
do those bags last a couple of seasons?
I got 2 seasons of 2 crops each out of them and left the dirt in them and out in the weather. My current bags are going into their 2nd season but I emptied them and put them up for the winter. I figure 3 or 4 seasons at least by doing that

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
F37D07CF-0528-46CB-9436-48D340C9BA7D.jpeg

The plastic and boards form a shallow pan so I don't have to water often. The bags and dirt will take up water as needed. The bags do evaporate water pretty quickly so without the plastic I had to water almost daily. This way I just let it have a day or two of dry pool before I water again and I have no rot.

tacoma2002

2-Step Enabled
It's been too wet at my place to do too much. I'm just now breaking ground...I'd love to have some potatoes, but I think if I'm able to make Peas and Beans at this point I'll be lucky.

Chapman

I dug my potatoes yesterday. Planted 4 pounds in 25 gallon containers on 2/20. Made 33 pounds. I think I should have dug them a couple weeks ago since it has been so hot lately. I figured on 90 days but I watched a Hoss Tools video and he was digging at 75 days.

Last edited:

WTM

made a few considering how blistering hot it was feom april until now. having them deeper wouldnt have made a difference. had 20" of roots but only made potatoes the first 10" or so. about the same as if in a garden. may try some bags next time or i migjt dedicate 2 rows in my garden for potatoes. would have to double dig and add some compost though in order to try early spring.

the flavor was outstanding though.

B706B547-C912-4643-835A-361A82DD3C73.jpeg

Latest posts