A first for me

megalomaniac

Well, still picking tomatoes from plants put in the ground mid April.

Never have I ever had fresh tomatoes from my garden at the end of Dec. Plants are still loaded, but may not survive tonight's freeze. Loading up for some fried green tomatoes tonight with the fish I caught the other day!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231228_151822_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231228_151822_Gallery.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20231228_151828_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231228_151828_Gallery.jpg
    422.4 KB · Views: 15

Chapman

I had a bunch of green tomatoes right before a frost years ago. There is some method of wrapping them in newspaper and storing them until they ripen. Since then I never had them survive that late.

shrimphead

Well, still picking tomatoes from plants put in the ground mid April.

Never have I ever had fresh tomatoes from my garden at the end of Dec. Plants are still loaded, but may not survive tonight's freeze. Loading up for some fried green tomatoes tonight with the fish I caught the other day!
did you make a trip down to bayou caddy how was the fishing

DoubleRidge

Thats crazy...pulled our tomatoe plants months ago...fixed a big breakfast yesterday and told my wife that all we needed was a big home-grown tomato.

megalomaniac

did you make a trip down to bayou caddy how was the fishing
I fished on the 26th.

I struggled, hit 8.or 9 different holes. Several had cormorants in them, so not surprised they were blanks. Managed 6 specks, 5 were keepers (best 19in), 6 reds, best was 22in, and 1 flounder in 6.5h fishing. Never could find a consistent pattern. Ran into a local who was fishing live shrimp, and he caught 9 keeper specks, and a bunch of shorts (I see him occasionally in the same areas I fish)

The few fish I caught were very scattered (I assume from the warmer temps Christmas eve and Christmas day), but I was really hoping the falling tide after the crazy high tide on the 24th would have pulled the fish to the deeper holes. I caught specks in 2dt water all the way down to 12ft deep. Again, no real pattern to key in on.

Weather is looking decent for NY Eve, so I may come down again hoping the cold.front has concentrated them.

But the fried fish and fried green tomatoes tonight were exceptional!!!

Latest posts