Mature bucks

Beardendy88

I have a quick question for you guys. This is my first year of setting my own cameras out and the weird thing is that I really don't have and mature 4+ bucks on camera at all. I know they are there (or were) but I have no idea why. Do any of y'all have an opinion on this?

hunterncoach

theyre not moving much right now. I would try to find any rubs you think are made by these older bucks & put a camera on that trail as close to the bedding area as possible if you really want to see them on camera

Trevor2

Beardendy88 said:
Well I have a few trophy rocks within 25 yards of some scrapes on about 9-13 inch trees
When they start scraping good, pee in the scrape and place your camera watching that scrape. If they are there you should get a pic of them

Trevor2

I normally wait till I start seeing a few scrapes show up before I make one. Or if its in good location Ill just pee in the ones they made and put the camera on that.

BSK

Beardendy88 said:
I have a quick question for you guys. This is my first year of setting my own cameras out and the weird thing is that I really don't have and mature 4+ bucks on camera at all. I know they are there (or were) but I have no idea why. Do any of y'all have an opinion on this?

Much depends on where you place the camera.

BSK

west_tn_hunter said:
They don't get to be 4.5 years and older by just being lucky!

There's always gonna be deer in your area that will never get caught on camera or film.

With considerable experimentation and years of practice, you should be able to get the vast majority (95+%) of deer on camera.

RF270

I think the two biggest factors are:1A) A good place to hunt with limited pressure 1B) TIME, TIME & MORE TIME, from a scouting standpoint and most of all time on the stand. The older I get I seem to get some better places but my desire to hunt the hours it takes to consistantly kill big bucks has left me. But of the few people I know that consistantly kill big ones, 145plus inch buck yearly, these are always the two common factors.

Mr.Bro

Last year on one of my farms i had pics of 6 different bucks scoring over 125.Took one of them last year.
This year none of the others has materialized.Nothing showing over 100 inches.
I'm a firm believer once they reach this age their core area shrinks considerably.In the farm land they stand up go 50 yards and eat.Another 50 yards to drink then another 50 yards to bed again.
Very little movement.
Some of those bucks made it through the hunting year.Come Nov one of them will come through my funnel.
Trouble is.I wont be there cause i'm chasing a bigger one on another farm 7 miles away.

Latest posts