Man, this really stinks!!

TNTreeman

I used to be summoned all the time. Last time when questioning started for selection I found a way to say i didn't believe in suing people and that a major downfall in society was when they started allowing blood sucking attorneys to advertise on tv . Hope I don't jinx myself but it's been many years since it's happened again.

Ski

Donald Trump GIF by CBS News

KTS

After you reach a certain age you are not required to serve but I can't remember exactly what it is but I think it may be 70.

Biggun4214

I was so looking forward to my first deer season as a retired old man——-being able to hunt whenever I wanted to and mid week if I wanted. But then, ———————I got summoned for jury duty Dec. 6th-20th in the mail today. 😩 😡
Maybe I'll tell them I voted for Trump. And I'll wear a MAGA cap. 😂
Jury duty is not an everyday assignment. Depending on the Judicial District you might have to call in 3-4 times in 3 months.

DayDay

2-Step Enabled
Here's what I found about age for Tennessee. Reaching a specific age does not provide an excuse.

From Tennessee Code 22-1-103

(e) A person who is seventy-five (75) years of age or older is excused from jury service upon a showing that the person is seventy-five (75) years of age or older and that the person is incapable of performing jury service because of a mental or physical condition. The jury coordinator of the county shall excuse the person from jury service upon receiving a written declaration stating the person's name and date of birth, and declaring the mental or physical condition that causes the person to be incapable of performing jury service. The declaration may be completed by the person or the person's personal representative. The jury coordinator of each county shall make available declaration forms for the purpose of this subsection (e). This subsection (e) does not prevent a person seventy-five (75) years of age or older from participating in jury service.

Folks younger than this can get off for the same reasons but need documentation from a physician.

mike243

Been drawn 2 times, thought I had a out as 1 of the lawyers had the same last name as me, asked if we were kin and I said not sure grandfather worked here building the bridge over the clinch river in Clinton back in the day 🤣 got picked any danged way.

TNCharlie

Whatever reason/excuse you want to use to not serve (or serve at that time) do not wait until the day you are to report and expect the judge to dismiss you. Judges don't like being surprised or suddenly put in an awkward position. Your notice likely has a number to call with questions, etc. That number will probably be the judge's clerk. S/he might even be able to honor your request but can at least talk to the judge and give him/her the chance to make a decision outside of having to react in front of the courtroom crowd. And rather than ask to be excused, ask to postpone your service because of plans you have already made for this time period.

Did I use the correct pronouns?

Jcalder

I was so looking forward to my first deer season as a retired old man——-being able to hunt whenever I wanted to and mid week if I wanted. But then, ———————I got summoned for jury duty Dec. 6th-20th in the mail today. 😩 😡
I started oct 30th and it goes thru the first of January

Jcalder

Whatever reason/excuse you want to use to not serve (or serve at that time) do not wait until the day you are to report and expect the judge to dismiss you. Judges don't like being surprised or suddenly put in an awkward position. Your notice likely has a number to call with questions, etc. That number will probably be the judge's clerk. S/he might even be able to honor your request but can at least talk to the judge and give him/her the chance to make a decision outside of having to react in front of the courtroom crowd. And rather than ask to be excused, ask to postpone your service because of plans you have already made for this time period.

Did I use the correct pronouns?
When I sat thru "orientation" on Monday, several tried to get out of it. And some did. But the clerk had several plead their case to the judge. Some he excused, but mostly he put them on an emergency panel. But calling ahead would have saved some of these people a lot of headache.

JN

I have been selected 3 times. Got out once because I was away for school. The other time I just had to call in and they never had anything I needed to show up for. The third time I got selected was immediately after I had just served and I called them and told them I was just on call for it and they took me off. I think there is a law you can only serve so many times in a certain amount of time.

ttf909

I'd write in and ask for an exemption for something, do you have a doctors appt by chance soon? Medical exemption.

WilcoKen

I used to be summoned all the time. Last time when questioning started for selection I found a way to say i didn't believe in suing people and that a major downfall in society was when they started allowing blood sucking attorneys to advertise on tv . Hope I don't jinx myself but it's been many years since it's happened again.
Awesome. Like Kramer said "they weeded you out".

Latest posts