Man I love the mountains!

CATCHDAWG

Lots of rain, lots of flow even up high. Wading was challenging. So was catching fish. Doesn't matter, it's not why I'm there.
DA5575E9-BBC2-42DF-9A21-E9F55D92E036.jpeg
5229352A-156E-43A8-AAB0-A01B2D0B3FF0.jpeg
F6928504-D429-422D-A93D-5108B3582EAD.jpeg

CATCHDAWG

Got two of their Euro rods.
3wt seems unbalanced but I think there was a redesign.
Got the newer model 2wt
Sweet rod.
Euro rods are a gimmick, jmo. I've been "high sticking" for 30+ years. You don't need a specialized rod to do it, especially when there is a need to actually cast in the few open areas one might come across on a blue line. Every Euro rod I've ever used (not many) are unbalanced. That can be corrected by over sizing the reel but I just don't see the need when there are better and more practical options.

Iglow

Euro rods are a gimmick, jmo. I've been "high sticking" for 30+ years. You don't need a specialized rod to do it, especially when there is a need to actually cast in the few open areas one might come across on a blue line. Every Euro rod I've ever used (not many) are unbalanced. That can be corrected by over sizing the reel but I just don't see the need when there are better and more practical options.
That's one thing I learned real quick about up there, I had the misconception that a short rod would be best, but found out quick to use the longest rod you can get away with, it made everything easier and if you just had to have a shorter rod because you came up on a brushy section just choke up on the rod and hold it above the cork to cast.

Setterman

Couldn't agree more, it's just a marketing scam.

Setterman

You using a moonshine rod? I've been browsing their site.
Save your money. They're heavy as lead and overall not great rods. There are far better rods in that price range. I'd look at TFO for that price point. Personally I'm a loyal Sage rod guy but fully understand that they are costly and not necessarily worth the price even though they make an excellent rod

Setterman

That's one thing I learned real quick about up there, I had the misconception that a short rod would be best, but found out quick to use the longest rod you can get away with, it made everything easier and if you just had to have a shorter rod because you came up on a brushy section just choke up on the rod and hold it above the cork to cast.
Same for me, I grew up fishing 7'11"
Rods on small streams and switched to a 9' rod a long time ago. So much better line control and high sticking abilities

CATCHDAWG

Save your money. They're heavy as lead and overall not great rods. There are far better rods in that price range. I'd look at TFO for that price point. Personally I'm a loyal Sage rod guy but fully understand that they are costly and not necessarily worth the price even though they make an excellent rod
I don't know about that, my Vesper 8'6" 3wt weighs 2.7oz. My Vesper 9' 5wt weighs 2.8oz. I wouldn't necessarily call that "heavy as lead". I have TFO equipment as well and honestly, I prefer my Moonshine rods over Temple Fork.

Latest posts