Magnum charge loose powder

paboom

Loose 777 2f is about 15% more powerful than the pellets. So 120g would be max. But as always check your manual to be certain what the max the gun manufacturer recommends.

UTGrad

paboom said:
Loose 777 2f is about 15% more powerful than the pellets. So 120g would be max. But as always check your manual to be certain what the max the gun manufacturer recommends.

The manual says not to exceed 100 grains of loose 777. Of course, Hodgdon says not to exceed two 50 grain 777 pellets. I plan on building a load around 100 grains of loose 777, but want the option of 110 grains if possible.

paboom

100g of 777 is more than enough for anything around here. The majority of my loads are 80g. If you shoot out to 200yards then there may be a need to push it harder I suppose. I have one load that I shoot over 100g and that's a .400 200g XTP. That's only because I shoot it long distance and for some odd reason the harder I push them the better they shoot.

Many years ago when I first started ML hunting I used a .45 Kentucky rifle w/a round ball pushed by 70g of Black Powder. That load killed more deer than I can remember.

Point is, don't count out lighter charges. They are very effective and generally a lot more accurate.

UTGrad

paboom said:
100g of 777 is more than enough for anything around here. The majority of my loads are 80g. If you shoot out to 200yards then there may be a need to push it harder I suppose. I have one load that I shoot over 100g and that's a .400 200g XTP. That's only because I shoot it long distance and for some odd reason the harder I push them the better they shoot.

Many years ago when I first started ML hunting I used a .45 Kentucky rifle w/a round ball pushed by 70g of Black Powder. That load killed more deer than I can remember.

Point is, don't count out lighter charges. They are very effective and generally a lot more accurate.

Thanks, I plan on going through several powder charges to find the optimum load. I am looking at a long range load for a particular piece of land I will be hunting. Shots of 200 yards are possible in the open field at daybreak.

WTM

a couple of rifles i have worked up loads on seem to prefer 100g. i have went as high as 120g but the groups widened as i stuffed more powder down the barrel.

velocity increase wont be as much as you would think from 100gr to 120gr, and with a big ole bullet it wont matter much as it tends to drop a perty fur piece after 100 yards.

nowadays i start with 90g up to 105g in 5g increments and pick the load with the smallest groups. the trick being to make sure you load the same each time, with about the same amount of seating pressure. you could weigh your charges to shrink groups even more.

UTGrad

WTM said:
a couple of rifles i have worked up loads on seem to prefer 100g. i have went as high as 120g but the groups widened as i stuffed more powder down the barrel.

velocity increase wont be as much as you would think from 100gr to 120gr, and with a big ole bullet it wont matter much as it tends to drop a perty fur piece after 100 yards.

nowadays i start with 90g up to 105g in 5g increments and pick the load with the smallest groups. the trick being to make sure you load the same each time, with about the same amount of seating pressure. you could weigh your charges to shrink groups even more.

Great...thanks

Latest posts