Lost my mentor yesterday

Hymie3

I don't know how many of y'all knew Jim Rivers but he passed away yesterday. He was a smallmouth legend particularly on the Tennessee river. He took me and my small group of friends under his wing when we were in high school and taught us how to smallmouth fish jigs with light line in moving current below the dams and how to night fish particularly at pickwick below Wilson dam in Alabama (back in the late eighties). He made the best arctic fox tail hair jigs and weedless heads around and sold gobs of them through the years. I had lost touch with him in recent years but I will never forget the priceless knowledge and fun times he gave my friends and I.

rsimms

I don't know how many of y'all knew Jim Rivers but he passed away yesterday. He was a smallmouth legend particularly on the Tennessee river. He took me and my small group of friends under his wing when we were in high school and taught us how to smallmouth fish jigs with light line in moving current below the dams and how to night fish particularly at pickwick below Wilson dam in Alabama (back in the late eighties). He made the best arctic fox tail hair jigs and weedless heads around and sold gobs of them through the years. I had lost touch with him in recent years but I will never forget the priceless knowledge and fun times he gave my friends and I.
He was a legend. I don't know who wrote it but they did an EXCELLENT job on his Obituary:

It is with heavy hearts that we announce the passing of James A. (Jim) Rivers, Jr., beloved husband, adored by his family and friends, and an esteemed member of the fishing community. Jim passed away on April 13, 2023, at the age of 83. Jim was an avid fisherman who dedicated his life to perfecting his craft and held several world records in smallmouth bass fishing. His love for the sport was infectious, and he inspired countless others to pick up a rod and reel and experience the thrill of the catch. As an adventurous man, Jim's interests moved him from freshwater fishing and guiding on Pickwick Lake in Florence, Alabama to the saltwaters of Venice, Louisiana, where he continued to share his expertise and passion for fishing with his friends and customers. Jim's enthusiasm for fishing led him to start his own business where he made specialty jigs and provided unforgettable fishing guides to countless country music performers like Porter Wagoner and Jerry Reed, hip hop artists, and local business professionals like judges, lawyers and physicians. As someone who literally never met a stranger, Jim's sharp sense of humor made him masterful at entertaining friends, while tying jigs and sharing fishing stories, or giving sage advice ("a steady drip fills the bucket") over a favorite beverage in his prized man cave. Jim will be remembered not only for his contributions to the fishing community, but also for his warmth, generosity, and unwavering, fun-loving spirit. He was a devoted husband, and his love for his family and friends knew no bounds. He will be deeply missed by all who knew him. Rest in peace, Jim. Your spirit will live on in the waters you loved so much. He was preceded in death by his parents, James A. (Lillian) Rivers and Helen (Gene) Dunn and sister, Katherine Sargent. Survivors include his loving wife of 56 years, Betty Green Rivers; children Tammy (Ron) McCamish, Sandi (Dennis) Hauf, and Donna Rivers; brothers Jere (JoAnn) Rivers and Michael (Marge) Rivers; sister Susan Wells; along with several grandchildren and great-grandchildren; plus many cherished nieces, nephews, and extended family members. Funeral services will be 2 PM Tuesday with Rev. Steve Sherlin officiating in the funeral home chapel. Interment will follow at Anderson Memorial Gardens. Visit www.heritagebattlefield.com to share condolences with the family. The family will receive friends 4-8 PM Monday and 12-2 PM Tuesday at Heritage Funeral Home, Battlefield Parkway.

Latest posts