Looking up

REN

I've spoke before in here about a place I hunted for a long time in Smith county. For years it was absolutely loaded with turkeys and was crazy fun to hunt. About 7 years ago all the sudden there was none. I mean no tracks, no sounds or sign anywhere. Stayed that way for 3-4 years and I was heart broken about it.

Then about 3 years ago I heard 1 Tom on it in early spring. Wasn't getting my hopes up cause birds wander but then 2 years ago heard and saw 2 more Tom's and 2 jakes. Then last year saw 2 Tom's and 5 jakes but still wasn't willing to hunt it.

Went this morning to check on it and heard 3 Tom's and saw about 11 hens. Had 5 jakes wake 30ft from me! Maybe just maybe it's starting to make a small come back which really excites me for the future.

deerfever

Yes sir! Hearing good stories from all over the state and with the great hatch we had things are definitely looking up. Great to hear!

megalomaniac

Awesome! Must not have any significant pressure around there.

My personal rule of thumb is to never remove more than 50% of the toms from an area. As long as neighbors aren't killing, you should be able to take 1 this year, and 3 next year!

REN

Awesome! Must not have any significant pressure around there.

My personal rule of thumb is to never remove more than 50% of the toms from an area. As long as neighbors aren't killing, you should be able to take 1 this year, and 3 next year!

Hard to tell year to year. It's only 200 area area but surrounded by ag fields and cow farms. Not sure anyone legally can hunt them but legal don't mean much to some. I've personally never seen anyone on the surrounding farms hunting but again that don't mean much.

Thankfully it's not my main spot, it's always been more of a bonus area I would hunt randomly. Prob still don't plan to hunt it this year unless my son wants to go to it for n juvi.

Latest posts