Early green up

AT Hiker

Just got back from a long road trip to the Rockies. Everything looked normal, until I got to the Mt Vernon area of Illinois.

It was like the twilight zone from there to Dickson County. Pears and Redbuds exploded in the week I was gone. Wheat jumped up 6" and the understory of the woods has gotten greener everyday.

There is usually an obvious difference between here and there except this weekend it all looked exactly the same.

Should be a good year for all you roost shooters 😅

deerfever

Yep. No point going.

In 2012, it got up to 93* on opening day, and it was damn near full foliage. If anybody keeps a journal or notes, look back and see how "over" things were when the season finally kicked off.
I looked back, opening day was March 31, youth hunt was March 24. So it was the standard two weeks earlier. So it may be hard to compare to April 13th. Supposed to be 49 for the high around here Monday so it's typical March weather.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
After this week, much of March is predicted to be quite cool, with a pretty good freeze early next week. Things could really slow down weather wise the next few few weeks.

MidTennFisher

I prefer hunting them with some green out there.
Me too, more cover to hide in. The bad thing is that means more ticks. Tennessee's ticks are horrible. Here that's literally the only thing I can say is good about SC hunting is that we just don't have many ticks. We also don't have many deer so that might be why. Even into the last weeks of turkey season I rarely find one on my clothes. They are treated with permethrin, of course, but in Tennessee I'd still find them crawling on my pants.

Bgoodman30

Yeah the field
I HATE early green and the main reason I hate the late season now. Completely eliminated some areas I normally love to hunt due to the ground green gets so tall and thick
I'm with you I don't like being in the woods in summer like conditions if I can help it. This is one thing I love about out west cool and low humidity.

Andy S.

How does this spring compare to "normal"?
March 11, 2024

After a slow start to spring in the southern part of the U.S., spring is spreading more quickly now across the central part of the country. Omaha, NE is 20 days early, Indianapolis, IN is 14 days early, and New York City is 10 days early compared to a long-term average of 1991-2020.

STATUS OF SPRING

IMG_1874.jpeg

Last edited:

Andy S.

Regardless of the dates, I'll hunt, but nothing I love more than trying to outwit a gobbler in winterlike hardwoods with no foliage. If I can get him to come look for me and not make me out before presenting a shot in the timber, I've accomplished my goal. Early spring greenup and later opener pretty much negates that opportunity in extreme SW TN.

Hymie3

Once it greens up a lot, I want no part of TN woods. Mainly because of ticks.
Got three off of me couple days ago after a short trip in the woods shed hunting. Going to have to get the sawyers out. Just something you have to live with in Tennessee.

Livin2hunt

Went out yesterday evening for a battery change on a camera and roost some birds at dark. Had a few dead ones on my pant legs when I got home. I also got to see my first no shoulders of the year up close and personal. Seen me before I saw it. Just a chicken snake but dang when they take off it sure makes you jump! 😂

muddyboots

Regardless of the dates, I'll hunt, but nothing I love more than trying to outwit a gobbler in winterlike hardwoods with no foliage. If I can get him to come look for me and not make me out before presenting a shot in the timber, I've accomplished my goal. Early spring greenup and later opener pretty much negates that opportunity in extreme SW TN.
This

Latest posts