Looking for shells….

waterman

These are what I'm looking for but not gonna pay retail or marked up prices. I'm frugal with my money. Just hoping someone has some they don't shoot anymore to save. I'm not afraid of going back to plain ole #6s if I can't find any at a reasonable price. I just get tired of everything associated with hunting being turned into a rich man's sport.
View attachment 212371
pretty sure i have a box. they are a few years old. ever make it to the east side?

Rakkin6

I was about to comment the same thing but decided I better read all the replies first. Great minds think alike. I shoot 3.5" TSS in my 12 gauge 870. I like to kill them really, really dead. Dead just isn't enough for me. 😁
There is no such thing has to dead. That's why I still use .300 win mag to deer hunt. Anything a 30-06 can do my .300 can do better.

scn

I have never understood the consternation about turkey shell prices. Even at the stupid price of $10/shell, the one I use to confirm my sight is on and two I use on gobblers is a drop in the bucket for other turkey hunting costs of gas, calls, etc.

I just don't understand the thought process. I'm not going to a dove field with them.

TheLBLman

Truth is, at 40 yds or less, it may matter little no matter what particular shell is in your chamber.
And most long-term turkey hunters still kill most their birds under 30 yds?
I know I do.

When I began turkey hunting, no one had ever told me I "needed" a special dedicated gun and special "turkey" shells for turkey hunting. I killed my first several turkeys with the same gun(s) and same shells I was using for squirrels & ducks, i.e. just regular old #5 & #6 lead loads.

I even killed at least two longbeards with 1 1/8 oz #7 1/2 field loads in my Sweet 16, which was once the gun I used for ducks, quail, squirrel, even deer.

Now doing most my turkey hunting with a 20 ga, but do load it up with TSS, whether it's needed or not.

Last edited:

@fulldraw

I have never understood the consternation about turkey shell prices. Even at the stupid price of $10/shell, the one I use to confirm my sight is on and two I use on gobblers is a drop in the bucket for other turkey hunting costs of gas, calls, etc.

I just don't understand the thought process. I'm not going to a dove field with them.
My thought process is that I don't spend much on turkey hunting. Other than gas and license, I have everything else. No need to buy a new call, camo, vest, etc every year. Wouldn't be looking for these shells if I wasn't out. However, I do want to be efficient when I pull the trigger but I've killed many with old Federal #5s well before the longbeard and tss fad. Also, I have more important things like family to spend money on. I'm not retired with no bills. 😉

@fulldraw

Truth is, at 40 yds or less, it may matter little no matter what particular shell is in your chamber.
And most long-term turkey hunters still kill most their birds under 30 yds?
I know I do.

When I began turkey hunting, no one had ever told me I "needed" a special dedicated gun and special "turkey" shells for turkey hunting. I killed my first several turkeys with the same gun(s) and same shells I was using for squirrels & ducks, i.e. just regular old #5 & #6 lead loads.

I even killed at least two longbeards with 1 1/8 oz #7 1/2 field loads in my Sweet 16, which was once the gun I used for ducks, quail, squirrel, even deer.

Now doing most my turkey hunting with a 20 ga, but do load it up with TSS, whether it's needed or not.
Exactly, so what's wrong looking for specific shells at a cheaper price? Apparently, scn is offended I'm not showing money around.

scn

Exactly, so what's wrong looking for specific shells at a cheaper price? Apparently, scn is offended I'm not showing money around.
SCN isn't offended at all. I just don't understand the thought process. While I am retired from one job, I am working another and certainly have bills to pay. The few dollars I may spend on quality shells is far less than the gas I spend on one trip to my turkey lease.

Have a great day.

@fulldraw

Heck sounds like you just need buy a box high brass pheasant loads and be done. 25 turkeys a box lol
True. Remington XLR loads are what my son shoots out of the .410. I haven't even thought about that for the 835. Be interesting to see how they do. Thanks for the idea.

@fulldraw

Fulldraw no disrespect but I have a cousin similar to you. So tight with his money he squeaks when he walks !
Lol, none taken. If I didn't squeak all these years I wouldn't have been able to purchase land last year. I'm ok with being called a tight wad. I just hope my kids understand why I'm the way I am and learn from me.

Rakkin6

Lol, none taken. If I didn't squeak all these years I wouldn't have been able to purchase land last year. I'm ok with being called a tight wad. I just hope my kids understand why I'm the way I am and learn from me.
I think they are saying you have short arms and deep pockets lol.

Latest posts