Locator calls, who uses them?

Wrangler95

I don't use them anymore,I just let the real thing work,plenty owl's and crows around here.Air horns work great and beating a bucket does also!😁

Rakkin6

Grenade and Arty sims will get them going quick. Especially the Arty sims with that high pitched incoming whistle the first 4 or 5 seconds before it goes off.

TnKen

2-Step Enabled
Owl call if I don't know where they are roosted. I've never had any luck with a crow call.

fairchaser

In my opinion, a turkey hunter must have a lot in his or her bag of tricks. Every situation calls for something different including using silence which can often be the most effective call of all. Locator calls can be effective when used at the right time and place. Often they are used in desperation when things go quiet. Listening to the sounds of nature will usually tell you what you need to do and when. For me this is the true art of becoming an effective turkey hunter. One that takes a lifetime to perfect.

megalomaniac

Like Fairchaser, all depends on the situation.

If I have a known bird roosted, I'm not saying a peep until right when I think he is about to flydown.. then it's hen talk.

If I'm going in blind to a spot to listen, have no idea if there are even any bird around, haven't heard anything and it's breaking day, I owl hoot before heading to a new spot just in case one responds close so I don't bump him in the early daylight while still on the roost.

I don't do it often, but I can make a mix between a peacock and crow with my mouth that will get one to shock gobble more reliably than any other locator call I've tried. It carries much farther than any other locator, so I will sometimes use that during the day on a known bird using
multiple properties to check where he is mid day... if he gobbles back 500y off the property, cant hear my hen calls, I leave him and head to another place and come back to him another day hoping he is either close enough to call across my line or is actually on my farm.

The places I hunt down here you just can't hear a bird gobble on the roost unless he is within 300y.... and often he has to be within 200y to hear on the ground. Just not many high spots well above the surrounding terrain, and too thick privet, yaupon, laurel and other trash below the pines for gobbles to carry a half mile.

Latest posts