Locator calls, who uses them?

PalsPal

Time to beat another dead horse.

The Simpsons GIF

Hduke86

Honestly when I'm on public ground I want the bird to gobble twice. Once on the limb so I can go that direction and the second time as I'm about to pull the trigger on him. I get dang anxious if he's just gobbling his head off for the simple fact other hunters WILL ruin a hunt in a hurry trying to push in on him. I usually don't use a locator call just for those reasons.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
I've never had much success except for hooting with my own voice on the roost early. I'll give a coyote howl too sometimes and both work "fairly" well for me. I usually only do this pre season, but occasionally when hunting if I don't know where any are. I have used crow calls during shooting hours in the past with zero success.

Carlos

I don't use them, I've got my own method, and IDC if everyone else has their's.

I won't even mention them here.
👍

REN

locator calls have a time and a place IMO. I think people who are very against them are not against the point of them, more how the Googan (their words not mine lol) use them on public land.

I carry an owl and a crow call, but use them maybe 8-9x total in a season. A lot of mornings I dont need it due to natural sounds but If I get a bird gobbling on the limb a long way off and make my move then he goes quiet I will use it when I feel Im getting close just to try and confirm. Same with a crow call.
Granted I dont blow it more then 1-2x total vs some that just seem to pound them lol.

Im not anti locator calls though, again feel there is a place for them if nothing else is working or your not ready to make turkey sounds yet and use them sparingly.

Remington700

I have the most luck with an owl. I use to have a call before I learned how to do it on my own. Like said above, sometimes I do it so others know I am in a spot as much as to locate a turkey.

Southern Sportsman

At daybreak, I always give them time to gobble on their own. But if they don't, I will owl a time or two with my own voice. And I carry a crow call. I will sometimes go an entire season without using it, but it has a place. For me, I only use it if I'm moving towards a bird and want to check his location before I'm ready to call to him.

deerhunter10

I'll hoot every now and then. We have enough crows around if the real thing can't make them gobble I don't think I can. I have never tried it but I do know a few people who will coyote howl in the evening to roost them. Not against locator calls at all but in my experience people do/rely on them way to much.

PalsPal

I get dang anxious if he's just gobbling his head off for the simple fact other hunters WILL ruin a hunt in a hurry trying to push in on him.

I've had numerous occasions where I'm begging with him to "please just shut up"!

Was on a WMA a few years ago, and set up on a gobbler not too far from a road (and yes I did hear him from the road while using a locator call), when I hear a vehicle coming down the gravel road, and stop not too far from where I was parked. I heard the door open and immediately they were blowing a crow call. The entire time I was saying, "please don't gobble, please don't gobble...". He did not "Whew!" They got back in the vehicle and drove off.

After waiting a few minutes to let everything quieten back down, I gave a couple of soft yelps, and he came in and I killed him.

With that said, I do use a crow and an owl call sparingly, and when I feel the time is right and have great success.

Another point related to the encounter I just mentioned is that, had I drove down the road and saw the vehicle parked, I would have kept going and not risked messing up someone else's hunt, but that is the potential peril of hunting public land.

Latest posts