Livescope or 360 Mega

Crow Terminator

Any of you guys have any experience with both platforms?

What I am having trouble with, is the GPS is only accurate on my Garmin units while the boat is moving. Once you stop, they seem to lose their orientation and heading, and more the less just spin. While moving I can hit my waypoints and get the transducer over what I have marked, but unless I throw out a buoy, once I stop to actually start fishing, I have no idea where stuff is in relation to the boat.

What I am wanting is to be able to see what is around or ahead of me while I am fishing. All of the videos I see of people using Livescope, is pretty much them watching schools of fish live and video game fishing by continually watching the screen. I don't really care for that... I would just like to know "ok, my tree is at the 2:00 position in front of my boat, 20 feet out". For that I'm thinking that the 360 is more of a fit BUT reading forums, it seems to be the general consensus that it only really is effective in 6 feet or less water. And I rarely fish that shallow. I've not saw much in the way of the different modes/views of Livescope so it could potentially do what I want.

chimneyman

Livescope will tell you exactly how far and which direction the tree is and how deep. It will also tell you if there are any fish on it. I have livescope buddy has 360. He is going to buy livescope

BlackEagle1

I would rather have my scope than my 360. There's no comparison in the 2 systems. For what you say you prefer the 360 maybe better. It stays oriented and deeper water is no problem for me. I prefer 10+ FOW myself.

waynesworld

Crow if you would like to se 360 let me know, I have it and am not that thrilled about it but could be operator error. My boat is in Shelbyville and can go fishing anytime you want. You can see how it works on my boat and see if it is better the live scope. I have seen some people show live scope and if I had unlimited funds I would be getting them all.

bluball

for offshore stuff you really need to add a heading sensor and set your map orientation to north up if you dont like a spinning map.
With the heading sensor you really dont have to change your orientation to north up.

bluball

Any of you guys have any experience with both platforms?

What I am having trouble with, is the GPS is only accurate on my Garmin units while the boat is moving. Once you stop, they seem to lose their orientation and heading, and more the less just spin. While moving I can hit my waypoints and get the transducer over what I have marked, but unless I throw out a buoy, once I stop to actually start fishing, I have no idea where stuff is in relation to the boat.

What I am wanting is to be able to see what is around or ahead of me while I am fishing. All of the videos I see of people using Livescope, is pretty much them watching schools of fish live and video game fishing by continually watching the screen. I don't really care for that... I would just like to know "ok, my tree is at the 2:00 position in front of my boat, 20 feet out". For that I'm thinking that the 360 is more of a fit BUT reading forums, it seems to be the general consensus that it only really is effective in 6 feet or less water. And I rarely fish that shallow. I've not saw much in the way of the different modes/views of Livescope so it could potentially do what I want.
I have both,prefer the livescope because you can usually tell if there is a fish on structure.For what your describeing you want the 360 ,it would do that without haveing to point and aim like with the livescope transducer.Most though would rather point and aim the livescope because of the detail it gets.

WTM

With the heading sensor you really dont have to change your orientation to north up.
for me its easier if the map is not moving when i line up the heading line with a waypoint. i like north up on a car too. almost had a wreck using gps up.

now if on a lake i dont know like the back of my hand, ill set it to head up.

bluball

for me its easier if the map is not moving when i line up the heading line with a waypoint. i like north up on a car too. almost had a wreck using gps up.

now if on a lake i dont know like the back of my hand, ill set it to head up.
Dont know if you know a guy named mike tolly from atwood,use to own wooly bugger jigs.It would drive him crazy watching me fish structure without throwing a marker bouy,before i had livescope or humminbird 360.He finally got my number from a buddy and called me asking me how i done it.Told him lowrance units with a point 1 heading sensor useing it for gps and heading at the console and heading and internal antenna at the bow.He wanted to rig his humminbird units that way and asked me if it would work,at that time i told him i didnt know because i had never ran the humminbird version.

WTM

Dont know if you know a guy named mike tolly from atwood,use to own wooly bugger jigs.It would drive him crazy watching me fish structure without throwing a marker bouy,before i had livescope or humminbird 360.He finally got my number from a buddy and called me asking me how i done it.Told him lowrance units with a point 1 heading sensor useing it for gps and heading at the console and heading and internal antenna at the bow.He wanted to rig his humminbird units that way and asked me if it would work,at that time i told him i didnt know because i had never ran the humminbird version.
name sounds familiar. i just have steadycast. i thought about getting a point 1 or 24xd to mount on the transom above my xducers but am pretty good at guestimating the 9ft difference when popping a waypoint. but ill still throw bouys sometimes to mark channel breaks.

Last edited:

Crow Terminator

for offshore stuff you really need to add a heading sensor and set your map orientation to north up if you dont like a spinning map.
Dad has the Humminbird one on his boat for his Bird units and it made a big difference for him. I was going to get one for my Garmin but when I asked about them on the Garmin pages, everybody said that the Garmin heading sensor really didn't help or work any better than the plain unit so I have shied away from getting one because of that. I'm the only person I know with Garmin units out of the fishermen that I know local so I'm kinda at the whim of asking online help. Everybody here has Humminbird units. If it works like the Bird one did for dads boat, it would be all I need to achieve what I want. Heading up is the only way I like doing maps lol. Even before gps with paper maps, I have to turn em to the direction I am going or looking in.

Last edited:

West_Tn

I'd get the livescope and also by a perspective mount for it. The you have you normal livescope, plus with a quick adjustment you can switch to perspective mode which is like the 360, but just a 180 view.

Crow Terminator

I did find some videos of perspective mode. It's interesting, but that 20 degree cone seems a bit small. One video I watched, they were having trouble getting it to show logs/brush, etc in 20-30 feet of water unless they were about 60 feet from it...the wider cone was able to pick it up but when they got closer, it would vanish because it wasn't in the beam any more. I guess that's why the aftermarket products are popular; to adjust the angle of the cone for water depth.

I almost ordered a Smartcast last night until I found out it had to be NMEA 2000 networked and cannot plug it straight into a port in the back of a unit. I have my units linked via an ethernet cable but not NMEA yet. I've not progressed that far yet.

Last edited:

WTM

Dad has the Humminbird one on his boat for his Bird units and it made a big difference for him. I was going to get one for my Garmin but when I asked about them on the Garmin pages, everybody said that the Garmin heading sensor really didn't help or work any better than the plain unit so I have shied away from getting one because of that. I'm the only person I know with Garmin units out of the fishermen that I know local so I'm kinda at the whim of asking online help. Everybody here has Humminbird units. If it works like the Bird one did for dads boat, it would be all I need to achieve what I want. Heading up is the only way I like doing maps lol. Even before gps with paper maps, I have to turn em to the direction I am going or looking in.
hmm really dont know the garmin pages you are referring too, but im not sure those folks know the difference between a heading sensor and gps/heading sensor, didnt calibrate it correctly or installed it around electrical interference or metal. garmin steadycast is a compass only and will keep a heading line pointing in the direction of the bow regardless of whether the boat is anchored or getting blown sideways. the mfd alone cant do that. the mfd has an accurate gps and good enough for me so thats why i installed steadycast 5 or so years ago when i switched to garmin. it was 120 bucks cheaper than a point 1. once its calibrated correctly it works well.

there are times when the new 24dx would be really nice to have especially in mountain lakes where where the cliffs will block the sourthern sky in the afternoon. it uses both gps bands to get around this and is priced the same as a point 1 with better gps accuracy and that extra L5 band<1 meter. i talk to a guy occasionally that fishes fontana lake that swears by it.

that said youll need a nmea 2k starter kit for about 85 bucks. its also nmea 0183 compatible, lol, but why bother with that older serial interface.

garmins are also compatible with point 1, airmar and a couple of other external gps/heading sensor brands.

good luck

bluball

name sounds familiar. i just have steadycast. i thought about getting a point 1 or 24xd to mount on the transom above my xducers but am pretty good at guestimating the 9ft difference when popping a waypoint. but ill still throw bouys sometimes to mark channel breaks.
Never messed with a steady cast or any garmin heading sensors.How does the steady cast hook up to your unit,i think i can nema my point 1 on my lowrance nema backbone but havent tried it yet.If your getting 9ft accuracy thats way better than most,but the steady cast might be why.Jon Graves,not sure if you know him or not,graves and graves const. In parsons.When we first started fishing some together he had 2 helix 12's and 360 with heading sensor on the bow.We scanned for 3-4hrs before we started fishing and waypoints were probally 30ft off.He had a wareagle 1860 and i figure console unit 9ft from trans combined with gps accuracy when you go back could probally be atleast 20ft.He ended up buying another heading sensor and mounted it directly over the transducer,thats what i recommended.The next trip he was amazed how close stuff was after marking it with the sidescan,before adding the heading semsor if he didnt have the 360 it would have been tough.I have been lucky a buddy help me yrs ago when the point 1 first came out,he is a electrical engineer that retired from nasa.People marking off the bow probally dont have as much trouble as the ones marking with si,my lowrance is super close marking in si.

Crow Terminator

Bass Boat Central and a few of the Garmin groups on Facebook. The biggest complaints about the Steadycast seem to be that it does require the NMEA network to work and several have said loses the calibration quite frequently. Most of the same people have gone to the Point 1 Lowrance and like it better. All I know is, what I am doing now ain't going to cut it. For trolling I can do pretty good but there's coming a time when I'll do better sitting and casting vs trolling.

bluball

Yep the humminbird works,if the garmin one has the elec. compass it should work.Might try bassboatcentral or csll the bass tank and find the answer.If you

bluball

Anyone wanting info on the garmin 24xd,donnie g will shoot you straight.I met him once though my buddy that retired from nasa(elect. engineer)You would have to creat a account to pm him over on bassboatcentral,just tell him you know ole blueball(jamey) and he van probally answer any questons.

bluball

Map wont spin with the electric compass heading sensor,that is as long as you dont have any elect. interference🤣🤣🤣🤣

Jmed

I have livescope and its incredible! As has been mentioned-learn to read your map in the "north up" orientation and it wont spin. Or if you have lowrance units, get a point one antennae.

Latest posts