Lets talk fishing line??

moondawg

stik said:
catman529 said:
stik said:
catman529 said:
oh and did I mention I love 6 lb test... caught everything from 1/2 ounce minnows to 23 pound carp on 6 lb line.

try 4 lb. 99% of my fishing is UL with 4 lb line.

i have tried most everything at one time or another. i still have stren on all my reels.
I use a couple of lures that would definitely go better with 4 lb. I like how 6 is a bit tougher but still handles better than heavier line. Will have to try 4 lb at some point though.

your bite frequency will also double going from 6 to 4 lb line.

x2. I also use 4lb line for 99% of my fishing. I've caught several species of fish on it. It's easier to cast smaller lures with 4 lb line.

KSbuck2

On my spinning rods for shakeyheads I use Suffix 832 braid with a 8 lb. flouro leader and spinning rod for dropshot I use the new nano 8 lb. I throw all my baitcasters used for jigs, worms, car. rig and deep cranks with flourocarbon. On long casts you make ledge fishing with a jig or worm you can't afford line stretch of mono and the depth you can get with deep cranks is much better. I throw topwaters on either mono or braid depending on what type it is - both these lines float. On square bills and shallow cranks I use mono because I like a medium action rod with a little faster tip and the mono stretch I like with that. Traps I throw on Flouro but have used braid when I'm fishing alot of grass. Blades I throw with flouro and spoons I throw with braid. Biggest thing to remember about flourocarbon is to make sure the knot is wet before cinching it down. I use a Surgeon's knot to join my flouro and braid.

Braid - 832 Suffix
Mono - Trilene XL
Flourocarbon - Trilene 100%

Crosshairy

I've had pretty good experience with the BPS-branded mono and fluorocarbon, and I've used PowerPro braid on my heavy-action rod.

I haven't tried the premium lines because most of my fishing conditions are not in extremely demanding conditions (extra deep, extra clear water, or high abrasion).

I'm pretty diligent about checking the line condition after catching a few fish to make sure that I'm not going to have it cut. In my opinion, monitoring the line condition is a lot more important than a particular brand, as long as you aren't buying complete junk.

Model70Man

Seaguar fluorocarbon line for all of my reels. 10# for spinning 15# for worms and 20# for Carolina rigs. It casts better, is stronger, and I catch more fish with it.

sure shot

i used stren years ago was never really satisfied,i switched to trilene lo-vis green absolutely loved the stuff caught tons of fish and lots of bites,,,until im guessing i got a bad batch and it was breaking in my hands,i put on new line every year after a few returns,,, i now use suffix smoke green 10 or 12# i cant remember and mr.crappie on my crappie rods i wont use any thing else !!!

yamaha200

SilverFox said:
I hear all the guys talk about flourocarbon... just haven't ever tried it. I've never had a problem catching fish with mono. I've used braid a few time with catfish but never for bass. I guess I'm just old school. If you know how to set the hook, the little bit of stretch mono has is not a problem.

Looking up on the shelf here I have 14 spools of mono... don't guess I will be trying anything else within the next couple of months either.
I seen that you use 10 lb mono for deep cranking,the florocarbin sinks, and for throwing floro, it will get your plugs to run deeper. I use it on deep cranks. Plus you do get better feel with floro.It is in my opinion, not stronger, but it does have it's time and place where it does out perform mono.

SilverFox

I've read and heard all the stuff about it. I may switch one day... you never know but I haven't seen the need for it yet. This clear TN water may very well be what makes me switch. SC water is no where near as clean.

As far as it sinking... I am digging with the crankbaits I fish now. You can't get any deeper than that. LOL

catman529

SilverFox said:
I've read and heard all the stuff about it. I may switch one day... you never know but I haven't seen the need for it yet. This clear TN water may very well be what makes me switch. SC water is no where near as clean.

As far as it sinking... I am digging with the crankbaits I fish now. You can't get any deeper than that. LOL
hey maybe with fluoro you could be digging deeper and catching clams for bait

yamaha200

SilverFox said:

If your digging bottom with your crank baits, at the depth you want to fish them, then your all set. I fish water in the summer, that I need all the depth I can get, that's why I use the floro on my 30 plus, and my hott lips, and still don't hit sometimes. lol. I like to fish some spots on Douglas where the shallowest spot on the rige, or hump, or point I am targeting is 25 plus feet. It's hard to get a bait that deep, that's why I try all the tricks. You fish douglas, and know how deep fish can be caught up there.Good luck up there this year !

Winchester

P-line is the toughest Mono out there hands down, but it comes with quite a lot of memory as well. I use it on all my baitcasters that have mono on them.
fcarbon definitely has its place as well as braid, depends on situation.
I use bass pro shops excel on all my spinning rods with light line, 10 lb and down.

infoman jr.

I used to use Gamma exclusively until it became hard to find. I'm using a variety of line now, mostly fluorescent because I fish a lot of night tournaments. Seems like PLine is the last I bought.

shorefisherman

12 lb bps mono for my spinning rod, 100 lb power pro for bait cast. the bps mono has almost no memory on the spinning reel...ijust stick with what works out in the field and aint goin to change it for what i fish for

Latest posts