Lets talk fishing line??

Big J

I am running sufix siege 10lb on most of my stuff.

When I was younger there was Stren an Berkly. I used stren for most of my life.

Now there are tons of lines!!

I am thinking about the Stren magnathin on my ultra light stuff.

What say you fellas???

catman529

man to avoid confusion I just go with stren or berkley. Although I was given a couple spools of different line and got some Sufix fluoro leader on clearance that I haven't used yer. Right now my small rod has 6 lb. Mr. Crappie line and it has worked great. Before that I was using 6 lb Stren and I will go back to it once the Mr Crappie is gone. My big rods have Berkley Big Game 15 lb test if I'm not mistaken.

I tried some type of Sufix mono a few years ago at the beach. It got all frayed up and I never used it again. Could have been rubbing on something I didn't know about but it was the only line I used that got so badly frayed.

If I had to pick one line I'd just go with Stren.

rbreedi1

I use sufix elite 8lb for spinning, 10lb for cranking rod, 12lb for others. I use 65lb Power Pro for flipping/pitching

Roger

I use Stren too. I quess I have never tried anything else. I know the tournament bass guys have different needs but I usually fish for crappie or catfish and it always works for me. It gets overwelming shopping for line at bass pro.

Roger

I went out fishing with a guide a few years ago and he swore by P line. I guess i've just never had a line issue and felt the need to try anything else.

easy45

I use stren 10# on my spinning outfits, berkley big game 25# on my regular outfits and 50# and 60# spiderwire braid on my heavy catfish rigs

moondawg

4# and 6# P-Line Floroclear on my spinning reels. 10# and 12# plain ol' Berkley mono on my baitcasters. Might switch to florocarbon on those, too.

SilverFox

I use 8 or 10 pound Trilene on spinning... sometimes 6 if I'm not going to be fishing in heavy rock.

For deep cranking I use 10 pound BPS line.

For jigs or T-Rig or C-Rig I use PLine CXX 17 or 20 or Berkley Big Game 25 according to where I am fishing... rock or flats.

Night I use PLine florescent 17 for jigs or worm fishing if I need to see the line with the black light.

I don't use anything but MONO line.

stik

catman529 said:
oh and did I mention I love 6 lb test... caught everything from 1/2 ounce minnows to 23 pound carp on 6 lb line.

try 4 lb. 99% of my fishing is UL with 4 lb line.

i have tried most everything at one time or another. i still have stren on all my reels.

catman529

stik said:
catman529 said:
oh and did I mention I love 6 lb test... caught everything from 1/2 ounce minnows to 23 pound carp on 6 lb line.

i have tried most everything at one time or another. i still have stren on all my reels.
I use a couple of lures that would definitely go better with 4 lb. I like how 6 is a bit tougher but still handles better than heavier line. Will have to try 4 lb at some point though.

garry

fireline braid all the way. if i use a leader i use vanish flourocarbon. ive used it so long, using mono is like using a bungy cord.

stik

catman529 said:
stik said:
catman529 said:

I use a couple of lures that would definitely go better with 4 lb. I like how 6 is a bit tougher but still handles better than heavier line. Will have to try 4 lb at some point though.

your bite frequency will also double going from 6 to 4 lb line.

SilverFox

I hear all the guys talk about flourocarbon... just haven't ever tried it. I've never had a problem catching fish with mono. I've used braid a few time with catfish but never for bass. I guess I'm just old school. If you know how to set the hook, the little bit of stretch mono has is not a problem.

Looking up on the shelf here I have 14 spools of mono... don't guess I will be trying anything else within the next couple of months either.

Football Hunter

SilverFox said:
I hear all the guys talk about flourocarbon... just haven't ever tried it. I've never had a problem catching fish with mono. I've used braid a few time with catfish but never for bass. I guess I'm just old school. If you know how to set the hook, the little bit of stretch mono has is not a problem.

Looking up on the shelf here I have 14 spools of mono... don't guess I will be trying anything else within the next couple of months either.
I use florocarbon,Vanish,almost 100% now.Dont know how clear ETN lakes are,but we have done some tests,side by side on Dale Hollow,no contest,you get more bites on Florocarbon.

BUSHRAT

I had been a P-Line fella for the last 10yrs or so, but I switched over to Suffix 832 w/Seagar Fluoro leader last year and couldn't believe the difference. But I am thinking about switching again. Caught 20 redfish up to 34 1/2" last week on 8lb Berkley Nanofil in 30 knot winds. No wind knots, no break offs, and casts a country mile. I've always tied a double uni for my line to leader knot, but now I(try)tie a twisted spider hitch on my braid to double it, then tie an albright to connect to leader. Try it out, you won't be let down.

Latest posts