Let’s talk lead sinkers regarding surf

7mm08

Ok so I'm trying to learn a little surf fishing with god forbid BAIT! What's the difference between EGG sinkers & Pyramid sinkers other than shape? Why one over the other? Thanks.

SES

Egg sinkers roll too much to use in any kind of current or rough surf. Pyramid sinkers stay put a little bit better. Check out the satellite sinkers. If your dealing with heavy surf or a lot of current, they will keep your bait where you put it.

7mm08

Egg sinkers roll too much to use in any kind of current or rough surf. Pyramid sinkers stay put a little bit better. Check out the satellite sinkers. If your dealing with heavy surf or a lot of current, they will keep your bait where you put it.
Interesting. Thank you!

cbhunter

Never heard of the satellite sinkers but went and looked them up. So for future reference.....in average surf current, what oz satellite sinker should a man use? I'll admit, i will forget by the time i get to surf fish again lol

Pilchard

Pyramid sinkers also are designed to go either at the end of your rig or off of a dropper loop/three-way swivel. That's why they have the swivel/eye on top.

Egg sinkers are designed to be inline with your hook/ main line.

rukiddin

I like the frog tongue sinkers better than the pyramid sinkers.
Go to the inlet with 3/4 or 1 oz barrel weight on a Carolina rig and slow retrieve a mullet back. I've caught a bunch of Flounder, trout and drum like that.

mike243

they also make the sinkers with copper wires to grab the bottom, made for heavy line & a lot of current, never used them but have seen others that were serious about catching stuff off the beach

Crosshairy

I like the frog tongue sinkers better than the pyramid sinkers.
Go to the inlet with 3/4 or 1 oz barrel weight on a Carolina rig and slow retrieve a mullet back. I've caught a bunch of Flounder, trout and drum like that.
I think we are probably using the same thing, but I've never heard them called that :D. I prefer the no-roll sinkers (flat, tear-drop shaped) over pyramids, but I guess it just depends on how you are rigging up. I have one rod rigged up just as rukiddin describes at all times. Also, don't go too big on your hook size if fishing for surf fish, as too many folks think everything in the ocean has an enormous mouth. I use hooks that would be suitable for big bream on my surf rods, because many times you are chasing after stuff that is in the 1-5 lb weight class. If you have a rod you are putting further out with cut bait for something bigger, then you might step up to a sturdy catfish-quality hook or more.

Be careful about trying to cast really heavy weights - flinging a 3-oz sinker into the surf has broken many lines. An old rule of thumb that I was taught was that you need 10 lbs of line rating for every 1 oz of casting weight, especially on longer surf rods. I have definitely broken off several heavier surf weights while trying to cast them a long way on my 20-lb braided line.

For bait, fresh shrimp is good but will get your hook picked clean pretty fast by little pinfish and such. If you buy fresh shrimp, they get mushy over time. Salt them heavily and keep your bulk bait in the refrigerator, just taking enough for a single trip with you. That way it all doesn't go bad at once. Cut small pieces of the shrimp off and use a piece that's maybe the size of your thumbnail on the hook when fishing for surf fish.

For backup bait, I'd by Fish Bites (shrimp flavor) or one of the knock-off brands like Fish Gum. It's like the saltwater equivalent of PowerBait. You can cut it into little squares (I use little scissors) to add color to existing bait, or cut a slightly longer piece and use that solo. Some folks swear that it will sometimes out-fish natural bait for pompano (probably just the bright color at the right time).

Good luck!

rukiddin

I think we are probably using the same thing, but I've never heard them called that :D. I prefer the no-roll sinkers (flat, tear-drop shaped) over pyramids, but I guess it just depends on how you are rigging up. I have one rod rigged up just as rukiddin describes at all times. Also, don't go too big on your hook size if fishing for surf fish, as too many folks think everything in the ocean has an enormous mouth. I use hooks that would be suitable for big bream on my surf rods, because many times you are chasing after stuff that is in the 1-5 lb weight class. If you have a rod you are putting further out with cut bait for something bigger, then you might step up to a sturdy catfish-quality hook or more.

Be careful about trying to cast really heavy weights - flinging a 3-oz sinker into the surf has broken many lines. An old rule of thumb that I was taught was that you need 10 lbs of line rating for every 1 oz of casting weight, especially on longer surf rods. I have definitely broken off several heavier surf weights while trying to cast them a long way on my 20-lb braided line.

For bait, fresh shrimp is good but will get your hook picked clean pretty fast by little pinfish and such. If you buy fresh shrimp, they get mushy over time. Salt them heavily and keep your bulk bait in the refrigerator, just taking enough for a single trip with you. That way it all doesn't go bad at once. Cut small pieces of the shrimp off and use a piece that's maybe the size of your thumbnail on the hook when fishing for surf fish.

For backup bait, I'd by Fish Bites (shrimp flavor) or one of the knock-off brands like Fish Gum. It's like the saltwater equivalent of PowerBait. You can cut it into little squares (I use little scissors) to add color to existing bait, or cut a slightly longer piece and use that solo. Some folks swear that it will sometimes out-fish natural bait for pompano (probably just the bright color at the right time).

Good luck!
frog tongues are not the same as no roll sinkers

hammer33

any of your anchor style weights will work better in the surf. pyramid, plow, satellite, no roll..... The shape helps them dig into the sand keeping them from washing around.

As for bait. Fishbites/gum is a good stand by and wont spoil in your tackle box. For pompano, whiting, croaker, black drum. its hard to beat fresh clams cut into strips, or sand fleas. Shrimp works but doesn't stay on the hook well.
For Redfish and black drum, few things beat a half or 1/4 blue crab, also live finger mullet are good. They will also hit shrimp and clams.

For your toothy fish like blues, spanish mackerel, kingfish... Fish is best. Live mullet is the go-to but almost any minnow or small fish will work. Spanish Mackerel eat mostly glass minnows and shrimp so jigs, smaller spoons, or the like work well when fished fast !

Flounder eat smaller fish and shrimp. They lie on the bottom looking up waiting for a fish to come by. I like 3-4" finger mullet fished with a Carolina rig, or a jig with a rubber minnow body.

Latest posts