All this talk of Lithium batteries

woodyard

I have been studying them for my boat, but not convinced that is what I need or want for sure. I haven't been paying much attention about them in the past ,but seems the prices may be coming down some with more competition in them now.

I have seen a lead acid battery blow up before too. Not pretty.

Pilchard

I have been studying them for my boat, but not convinced that is what I need or want for sure. I haven't been paying much attention about them in the past ,but seems the prices may be coming down some with more competition in them now.

I have seen a lead acid battery blow up before too. Not pretty.
I had one blow up right under my arse on a golf cart when I was a youngster. I was incredibly lucky to only receive a couple bruises.

Speedwell-Hunter

I don't understand the point of the video he took a a battery apart and took its components out and put it in water. Like a moron. Of course it's going to do that.

Good scare tactic

7mm08

I don't understand the point of the video he took a a battery apart and took its components out and put it in water. Like a moron. Of course it's going to do that.

Good scare tactic
Question. Is this why Tesla's or any lithium battery catches fire because the water jacket around them fails and comes in contact with the lithium ?

Hduke86

Question. Is this why Tesla's or any lithium battery catches fire because the water jacket around them fails and comes in contact with the lithium ?
My only guess would be something with the battery started thermal runaway in it. That could be a few things as in overcharging, exposed to extreme heat, high discharge rapidly, short circuit. Wouldn't necessarily have to be involved in a accident for any of those to happen and start the thermal runaway. Since this is posted in the fishing forum I'm assuming it was for marine lithium batteries. The safest and ONLY way to go is LifePo4 on a boat which is different than lithium ion. Lithium Iron phosphate (lifePo4) batteries typically can not explode or catch fire.

WTM

elon musk shipped poorly built battery packs with defective aluminum tubing.

not "any" lithium battery. those are custom packs with 18650 batteries with cooling ribbons and tesla has replaced a whole lot of them with LFP (lifepo4) packs.

you have to consider li-po, nmc and nma chemistries they use in those batteries the max ambient temp is 120 degrees and the max charge/discharge can be as high as 50C, which is around 750 amps depending on C and V.

LFP on the other hand has a 165 degree max temp and 2C charge/discharge rating.

all of those big boat fires were cause by either li-po or nmc batteries on hydrofoil skiis or underwater scooters during the charge cycle.

i wouldnt worry about LFP batteries, you can drill holes in them and dunk them without any catching fire. what you have to worry about LFP batteries is who built them. pick your brands carefully.

people using those dewalt drill batteries, well, better keep them cool and out of the water.

7mm08

not "any" lithium battery. those are custom packs with 18650 batteries with cooling ribbons and tesla has replaced a whole lot of them with LFP (lifepo4) packs.

you have to consider li-po, nmc and nma chemistries they use in those batteries the max ambient temp is 120 degrees and the max charge/discharge can be as high as 50C, which is around 750 amps depending on C and V.

all of those big boat fires were cause by either li-po or nmc batteries on hydrofoil skiis or underwater scooters during the charge cycle.

i wouldnt worry about LFP batteries, you can drill holes in them and dunk them without any catching fire. what you have to worry about LFP batteries is who built them. pick your brands carefully.

people using those dewalt drill batteries, well, better keep them cool and out of the water.
I knew I could pull some serious info out of someone!!! Thanks WTM!!

WTM

I knew I could pull some serious info out of someone!!! Thanks WTM!!
NMC batteries wont go away, they are still needed for longer range vehicles. hopefully im dead or not driving by the time combustion engines are extinct. our stupidass swimming pool already costs us 150 bucks a month in extra electricity.

FLTENNHUNTER1

If you don't mind, elaborate more on the dewalt batteries. I have several in different sizes on 4 different tools.