Left handed issue

hybridtom

I shoot left handed (yes I'm left eye dominant). I'm looking for a new hunting rifle. I see that some manufacturers don't even bother making LH rifles in the models I would like. Am I making too big of a deal out of getting a LH rifle? Should I just buy a RH and shoot it LH? I wanted to hear from some really experienced shooters and hunters so I thought I'd ask you guys. TIA

DaveTN

I'm not a lefty so I can't help you there. I don't get attached to firearms. I want to tray them all, but I can't afford to keep them all. I've been though a ton of rifles, but I couldn't have done that if I had to use left handed rifles. Of course that's of no importance to you if you buy them and keep them.

Have you tried shooting a rifle right handed? I know many lefties say it's not a big deal.

Carlos

Shooting a RH rifle or shotgun lefthanded isn't a huge deal.
The thing that's helped me the most is making sure the gun has the tang safety.
This way it's operated by your thumb and is much easier for a lefty.

The semi-autos can be more of an issue, because of gases and spent casings coming out closer to your face, but are still operable.

Hope this helps.

1 good shot

Im a true lefty. That being said, I choose my shots carefully so that I hardly ever have to make a follow-up shot. That is the time that having a left handed rifle makes a difference. Also now that I am in a position to choose, I rarely take any of my right handed guns out. In fact have sold most of them. It is definitely more natural to shoot a lefthanded rifle.

Last edited:

gtk

Staff member
I'm a lefty, shoot rifles left handed. I cannot shoot a left handed rifle, as it feels too "funny" to me. I bet i can shoot a left handed bolt action just as fast as right handed people.

The biggest thing I look for in a rifle, is a tang safety. It makes it easier to switch on/off with your left thumb. Browing, Savage, and I'm sure others, have the tang safety.

BTW, I write left handed, shoot rifles left handed, bows right handed, and pistols either handed. I throw right handed and bat left handed :) All mixed up and confused

Omega

I am right handed, but left eye dominant, and shoot my rifle and bows left handed. I have never owned a left handed rifle, bow you have to due to the sight window. I handled a left handed rifle once, bolt action, and it felt so weird that I found it difficult to work the action.

Omega

If you value your eyesight buy the correct rifle. I knew a fellow lefty who almost lost an eye when he was helping someone sight in a right handed rifle when the primer popped, and debris hit his eye.
You dont want an open ejection port facing your head.
You should have a pair, even with the "correct" rifle. I have shot this way all my life, before I even knew about eye dominance or any other basic marksmanship. In the military, it was many years before they required eye pro at the range, just the foam ear plugs, and have 🤞never had an issue, even when I fired thousands of rounds with out eye pro. Now, I use them, and better ear pro, because I now know better.
iu

TnKen

2-Step Enabled
I shoot left handed, and have for almost 50 years. I don't own a single left handed gun. I've handled some, and as the others say it feels weird. I can run a bolt gun faster than most right handed shooters. I use my support hand to run the bolt, not the reaching over method with the left hand. Just get familiar with it and you will be fine with a right handed gun.

Grill-n-man

My son is right handed but left eye dominate, wife figured that out about age 3. Since then he has always shot left handed with a bow, rifle, and pistol. His bow is a lefty and has a couple lefty rifles along with a CVA scout. He does not like shooting right handed except with certain pistols. At a young age with the lefty options out their we went with it. But as a grown man I wouldn't put much concern over a right/left handed action. I know several that are lefty but shoot right handed stuff and wouldn't have it any other way.

thirdwilliam

I am a left eye dominate and shoot left handed. I am close to 60 years old and shot right handed rifles for years due to availability. the last 10-15 years I have shot mostly left handed bolt rifles and "feel" much more comfortable. I have shot savage, remington, browning and tikka. Currently own a number of tikkas and a few browning's. Carry the tikkas mostly and love them. from 22 to 7mm magnum and they are tack drivers even with factory ammo. the plastic stocks take a little getting use to as far as feel goes, but the wood stocks are sweet. good selections typically on gunbroker, if you look quite often, and even picked up a couple used locally. just my $0.02

Latest posts