Leaving a summit viper in the field for a day or three

TX300mag

Yep, same here. On my property, I left mine out for the better part of bow season a couple times before.

In 2003 I happened to meet a member of the site. He was hunting one of my uncle's farm, I don't know how many years he hunted it. He moved away a couple of years later, so I began hunting it. I didn't want to bring it out of the woods in the event he came back for it.I used it until the farm sold in 2013.

fairchaser

It's my ritual to remove my stand after every hunt. One evening I left it since I was going back the next morning and a squirrel had chewed a hole in my seat in one night. Just saying a lot goes on in the dark including deer smelling where you've been.

Stumpsitter

I leave my portables on my property like this every year. I keep a plastic tote underneath the tree with my seat in it. That way it doesn't get wet and I don't forget it. I cover the tote with burlap leaves and sticks , been doing it for years.

Gravey

Hardly use it anymore but I've left it on the tree and taken the seat off. The good thing about the old API Grand Slam Supreme I had years ago was the seat was a cordura type material so it didn't soak up water. Way better than the summit seats.

Last edited:

arctic_cat

Besides theft and getting wet, is there any thoughts on leaving it attached to the tree so u can jump on in a day or three and go back up?
Done it many times at my lease. Theft is my only concern on public land but I have done it at LBL for a weekend hunt also

Hitit9999

I have left mine multiple times, for long and short periods of time. I hunt a private farm. I would always take a big black construction trash bag, spray off the outside before I put it on the first time. and put it over and around my stand and tie the corners. Always remained completely dry. And never had any issues with animals getting into it. Done it with an API Grand Slam and a Summit Titan.

BigAl

I've left mine up all season with no issues. However, I had bought 2 of the summit surround seats and left them with the stand. Initially no issues, but last year both of them ended up with squirrel nests. Nasty and tore up, and maggots included.
So I'd say the metal stand is fine. The cushion might not be.

TNReb

My Summits are 10+ years old and they pretty much stay in the woods when deer season starts. Only had a squirrel get a hold of it once. Tore the seat to shreds.

Creek

IF water gets inside the metal then freezes, it may deform and weaken the metal tubing…based on angle at the base of the tree, highly unlikely but I have stored one outside all winter before and this happened to mine.
I had the same thing happen with a two-seater ladder stand that me and our two sons used. I would hope they have remedied that design flaw after this many years, but who knows? I never bought another stand after that, but for other reasons, actually.

Last edited:

Claims Rep.

I own 10 Vipers/Goliaths. Nine of them stay in the woods all season, but I never leave the seats on them. No issues leaving a metal stand in the woods over the season. My only real concern is theft, but I cable lock them to the tree.

East TN Bowhunter

I do it a lot but have also lost several seats to bears and had damage from squirrels
This^^^ The seat I remove everytime I leave so it doesn;t get wet or chewed by a bear. But I didn't consider the zippered arm pads being so dang expensive once they got chewed up! $59 for set of 3! I bought the China versions off Amazon for $17 lol

Latest posts