LBL

TLRanger

TNhunter said:
You want to hunt the first week at lbl put in for the quota hunt. I like the ststem the way it is.

Guess you did not see where I posted "I got picked for the first quota hunt".

It is good for two days and cost $5 to apply with no gurantee that you will be selected and no refund if you aren't selected.

Also, a full extra week would be for seven days at no extra cost.

You have your opinion and I have mine.......good luck.

tickweed

I remember back when LBL didnt have a quota hunt. Back in the late 70s, early 80s. I was married less than a couple months, went up and stayed a couple weeks turkey hunting and crappie fishing. I knew after that trip I had choose a winner. She never said a word. You guys remember Gene Crutcher, that had the store? He was a nice guy. Boy, those was the days, very few turkeys in west Tn., and that was like going to heaven. You would hear eight to ten a morning. This was way before all the roads where widened and paved as well. Didnt seem to be alot of pressure back then. I wish I could kill a gobbler up there one day.

AT Hiker

Has anyone done any back country/hunting during the non-quota hunt? We are going to give it a try this year.

I know turkey hunters get in deeper than deer hunters, but I am still hopefully we can get in deep and find a few birds. I have hiked a lot in LBL, so I figured this year I would bring a gun.

TLRanger

I remember those early days. Had to have a permit but it was free. Had to check in before hunting and out after the hunt. I went the very first first year turkey season was opened there. Best I recall, it was 1978 and there was a total of SEVEN birds killed the first year and I was not one of the lucky ones although I was on birds every day. Just didn't know how to seal the deal at the time. Always stopped in Crutcher's Market to buy a few things. Had to be real carefull about some of his inventory. It was out of date by about 15 years or so.

Things sure have changed. More birds now but lots more rules too. Still go every year.

TN RDG RNR

TLRanger said:
Had to be real carefull about some of his inventory. It was out of date by about 15 years or so.

LMBO Isn't that the truth. It was rank in the store at times but I ate there anyway.

I always looked thru all their pics every time I went in the store. After Mr. Crutcher passed the daughter and her husband ran the store, she would bake haystacks for us whenever we stopped by. Great folks. Good times.

tasaman

I drew 13-14th hunt. Gonna camp out there and do like AT Hiker is and get away from you road hunters. lol Last couple of years I had found some birds but couldn't close the deal. Maybe 3rd times a charm.

To everyone that drew the weekend hunt. I hope you all have to work and I get the place to myself. haha. Just kidding. Good luck everyone.