LBL lay of the land

TheLBLman

For the most part, ridge & hollow land.
Entire land mass is divided into "compartments" (such as Area 15, Area 14, etc.).
Each compartment has essentially the same features, lake bordering on one side or the other.

Very few places where you can walk a mile or more without being closer to a road than the one from which you began walking. When I say "road", I mean roads you could normally drive with a 2-wheel drive car. There are also trails where vehicles are not allowed.

Many the ridges are very steep, but not very tall. There's an abundance of accessible hunting areas whether you want to walk far or stay close to your truck. Ironically, some of the most remote "spots" are often the most heavily hunted, as many study the maps, then come into a particular "spot" from 4 different directions, often concentrating hunters around some particular land feature found by studying a map.

Each compartment is more similar than different. The best one is whichever one you end up spending the most time and becoming most familiar.

Last edited:

TheLBLman

Ridge and hollow but nothing steep like I would be used too. Easy to walk around.
Beg to differ with you, just a bit :)
Some of the ridges at LBL are just as steep as anywhere else in TN.
They're just not as tall.
That's why we call them steep ridges instead of mountains.

Yes, most can be walked around or over from a perpendicular direction.
The terrain is easier to navigate than much of Fentress County & much of East TN.
LBL is relatively easy compared to the Cherokee National Forest & Big South Fork.
LBL is also not the true "wilderness" type hunting experience of the Cherokee.

oldmanelrod

2-Step Enabled
For the most part, ridge & hollow land.
Entire land mass is divided into "compartments" (such as Area 15, Area 14, etc.).
Each compartment has essentially the same features, lake bordering on one side or the other.

Very few places where you can walk a mile or more without being closer to a road than the one from which you began walking. When I say "road", I mean roads you could normally drive with a 2-wheel drive car. There are also trails where vehicles are not allowed.

Many the ridges are very steep, but not very tall. There's an abundance of accessible hunting areas whether you want to walk far or stay close to your truck. Ironically, some of the most remote "spots" are often the most heavily hunted, as many study the maps, then come into a particular "spot" from 4 different directions, often concentrating hunters around some particular land feature found by studying a map.

Each compartment is more similar than different. The best one is whichever one you end up spending the most time and becoming most familiar.
Thanks for the report.

Texas Horns

Just watch for the signage on the roads so you will know which ones to drive on and which ones not too. They will ticket you if you go on any roads that are restricted access for vehicles.

Hunted LBL a few years ago, scouted out the area me and my buddies would hunt and it was a bit of a hike in only to find someone had driven into the area and parked illegally and really screwed up our plan.

Latest posts