late afternoon eye sight......

Bottom Hunter

Boy, i remember a time when I could see a gnat on a squirrels backside in the dark ......now, once the sun gets low, in the woods, I can't make out much , just enough to know it's a deer....I have to carry binoculars to just make out what the deer is, even inside 50 yards sometimes.

I wear contacts, but even then I'm constantly trying to focus on something.

Anyone else have this issue .......?

BigD_625

I've never had good vision at dark. Have a buddy that has unreal night sight. He got laser surgery and got rid of his contacts. He can't see as good now in the dark.

BSK

Bottom Hunter said:
Anyone else have this issue .......?

Yup. Unfortunately, it's called "getting old"! I wear progressive bifocals on a daily basis, although my distance vision isn't that bad. Considering progressive bifocals can really screw up your vision through a scope (depending on how you are looking through your glasses), I don't wear glasses while hunting. And that means sometimes I have to use binoculars to see antler characteristics at any type of distance or in low light. It also means I stop hunting earlier in the evening. I used to hunt until dark-thirty. Now I give it up if I know I wouldn't be able to see antler characteristics close-up with the naked eye, which means I'm ending my hunting about 10-15 minutes earlier than I used to.

BSK

Dbllunger said:
Yep, I have to stop hunting about 10-15 min before legal shootin' hours end these days...getting old

And it sucks too!

Let me repeat, getting old sucks! ;)

But I guess it's better than the alternative...

RKenney

I have the same problem in low light conditions too. I also have a problem at mid morning to early afternoon on sunny days with all the reflections off the tree limbs. BSK is right, getting old does suck!

htnseymour

I bought some polarized oakleys with interchangeable lenses for fishing and tried them out for hunting. Makes a big difference in low light and sunny conditions. Frames will cost you $115-120 but the lenses are only $30-40 a set.

Latest posts